My mom is meeting me in Denver on September 14 and we are driving to San Diego via I-80, sort of. Last summer, we drove I-70 and cut down to Flagstaff, Grand Canyon and Vegas. This year, I want to take a more northerly route to San Fransisco, then south, but what to do in between Denver and SF is the question.
My mom has said she is up for five days and four nights. I should also let you know that my mother is a drive-by sight seer. In other words, she is not much for spending chunks of time at a site, but would rather see it and leave. For example, she asked if we can see Hearst Castle from the road. If not, lets skip it. This means we can cover more ground.
I will be shooting south from SF on Friday on I-5. This means 4 days to SF. Here is what I'm thinking so far:
- Day 1 - Denver to Yellowstone area. See a bit of the park and maybe the Grand Tetons. Stay in Jackson. What roads and sites do we take?
- Day 2 - South to Salt Lake City then west to either Reno or Sacramento. Maybe catch Tahoe. What else, what roads?
- Day 3 - Catch the Jelly Belly Factory (in Fairmont?), then north of the Bay area. Do a bit of wine country, then south to Muir Woods. Stay north of SF. What roads here?
- Day 4 - Spend it in the city. All the normal tourist traps. Head south a little ways. Maybe Highway 1. Maybe 101. Maybe I-5.
- Day 5 - Blast to San Diego. Peddle to the middle - no site seeing.