1. Default November trip- Las Vegas- Grand Canyon- Los Angeles

Flying into Los Angeles following a cruise in Hawaii and then straight to Las Vegas. Spending three nights on the strip, planning to drive in a direction to explore each day and watch a show in the night. Driving to the Grand Canyon and staying at El Tovar for one night. We haven't booked accommodation for the next two nights as we head to Los Angeles to fly back to Sydney. Please give me your expert advice to see the very best of this small part of America. We don't need to spend long in Los Angeles as we plan to do another trip later.

We could also do with some advice for Hawaiian Island car hire and day tours.

South of England.

Default Route 66

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Here is a link to some great day trips from Vegas. On the way to Grand canyon you will cross the Hoover dam and from Kingman you could drive part of the original route 66 with it's old memorabilia shops and diners through Seligman. As you have only 1 night at GC, I would suggest that you enter by the South entrance from I40 and leave by the East entrance along Desert view drive [64] and take in the great views along the way. This will take you to the 89 where you head South to Flagstaff, which if you want to maximise your time at the Grand canyon could be a good place to stay the night before heading back to LA where you could spend another night at somewhere like Lake Havasu or in the Joshua tree NP area. If you drove from Flagstaff to Kingman on I40 you could pick up another part of the "mother road" through Oatman.

3. Default

Thanks Dave

The link to Las Vegas day trips was quite helpful. Are there some more ideas? As I mentioned, we are driving to the Grand Canyon and staying overnight but would it be worthwhile to fly over the canyon? Also keen to see Death Valley and would like an itinerary to from Las Vegas with places of interest.

We have one night and a day in Los Angeles. What is the best way to spend our time? We do not have to do the Disneyland/ Hollywood tours as we really want to see the very best of Los Angeles.

Thanks for your interest

Melbourne, Australia

Default Yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by lise View Post
    ..............would it be worthwhile to fly over the canyon?

The flights over the Grand Canyon are spectacular and unforgetable. If you can fit one into your budget and schedule, it could end up being a highlight of your trip.

If Disney and Hollywood are not on your priority list, I would spend the day in Death Valley rather than Los Angeles. Death Valley is like nothing you have ever seen, or will ever see.

Lifey from Melbourne

5. Default Wonderful trip

I just wrote an essay of my trip but it didn't save!! Will write it again but I did want to thank Lifey and Dave for their advice. Had a fantastic adventure in a 2010 Camaro. Looking forward to our next US road trip!
    Attached Images Attached Images

South of England.

Default Your welcome.

Hey, I am so pleased you had a fantastic time and look forward to hearing some more about it.

Strange how you lost the page but I hope you find the time to give it another go.