1. Default Yosemite & PCH to LA

Hello all,

Mid october I will have 5 to 6 days for a little road trip in the Yosemite area. I need to end up in LA at the end of the trip. I have been to Yosemite before but was unable to drive Tioga pass then, so I want this trip to atleast include Tioga pass. I have seen pics of Pacific Coast Highway and would love drive this coastal road atleast partly on the way to LA. The startpoint of the trip will be the Fresno/Yomite area.

I was wondering if you could give me some tips for an itinerary?

Thanks!

Petra

Default Tioga.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Well you should be in luck with the Tioga pass crossing as it would be unusual for it to be permanantly closed so early in the season, but not out of the question. With 5 or 6 day's to get to LA you certainly have a nice amount of time to spend in Yosemite and travelling down the coast. A couple of day's in Yosemite, travel to the coast and three day's to LA would be nice and relaxed.
    From Yosemite you could head for Monterey/Carmel and drive down the coast around Big Sur and a tour of Hearst castle is very popular. San Fran wouldn't be out of the question but it would have the need to move along a bit quicker than you might like. Have a search of the forums, there are many links to this area full of great info.

3. Default San Francisco

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.
    I have already been to San Francisco and dont need to go there.

I have a little itinerary set up:

1. Drive from Fresno to Yosemite Valley
    2. Drive from Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining or Bridgeport by Tioga Road
    3. Drive from Lee Vining or Bridgeport to Sonora by Sonora pass
    4. Drive from Sonora to Monterey
    5. Drive from Monterey to San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara
    6. Drive down to LA

Would you suggest doing it like this, or would you suggest taking Yosemite Valley as a home base and taking day trips from there for a few days before heading to the coast?

Thanks!

Petra

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Would you suggest doing it like this, or would you suggest taking Yosemite Valley as a home base and taking day trips from there for a few days before heading to the coast?
    Petra
    Either choice would work well. I guess it comes down to how you want to spend your time. The Sonora pass is meant to be a fantastic drive [haven't done it yet] through Kennedy Meadows etc and depending on how much time you wanted to spend in Yosemite you would also have the chance to visit Mono lake and/or Bodie ghost town, although the last part of the road into Bodie is unpaved and slow going.
    I would also recommend the drive up to Glacier point as you approach Yosemite from the South if you haven't done so already, the views are spectacular. Near the junction of 120 [Tioga pass] and 395 there is a gas station and the road that runs along side it up the hill offers good views of Mono lake, there is also a cool little diner in the gas station called "Woah Nellies Deli" which offers great food.

5. Default Bodie

One more question. I rented a compact rental car. Is it wise to drive to Bodie with a rental, which is not a 4-wheel drive? How off-road is the road? Is there a chance to get stuck?

Thanks! :-)

Petra,

Unless you have specific permission from the rental company, you will not be allowed to take a rental car off the paved roads. With modern technology, they will know at any time exactly where you are so don't try to sneak it in. It could cost you a packet.

Lifey

7. Default Bodie

You are right. I didnt even think of that. Thanks for the reminder!

Petra