attackoflance Guest

Default Omaha, NE to Fort Pierce, FL

Hello all, I have been reading alot of the threads here and thought I would post one for any tips or anything for my roadtrip. Me and the Fiancee are driving from Omaha, NE to Fort Pierce, FL on 9/9/09 and are taking 2 separate cars. We have some money but not tons, and its mostly a moving trip but we would welcome any suggestions on things to do along the way, places to eat, and anything else. Thanks :)

Default on the way

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You're looking at a good 3 day trip if you take the most direct route, which would go through KC, St. Louis, Nashville, and Atlanta. Its hard to offer much in the way of specifics without knowing how much time you have or what your interets are, but if you do a little research on any of those places, you should find something that fits what you like.

Traveling with 2 cars (is one a moving truck?) adds a few extra obsticles, but they are pretty easily overcome. I would recommend getting a couple of FRS radios, or CBs so you can easily communicate between each car while on the road.

attackoflance Guest

Well we are hopingto do a quicker trip, either arrive late the 10th or maybe take a second day and be leasurely and get to florida on the 11th. Both vehiles are cars, a camaro and a malibu. I was doing some reasearch and if we use the first day to mostly just cover a good amount of distance and the second to relax and check some stuff out, the first night we would make it to Paducah, KY. Has anyone stopped there and might have some tips? I guess the stops and stuff we are looking to do then would be between KY and FL.

Also, any recommendations on FRS radios?

Default reasonable vs recommended

Well, to get there in 2 days you're going to have to drive far more than we'd ever recommend, and you'll really be pushing the limits of safety to try and do what you've listed.

A stop the first night in Paducah is reasonable. Its a 600 mile day that's going to take you 10-12 hours, and is on the top end of what we'd recommend for a multi day trip. The problem is that leaves you with a 950 mile trip the rest of the way to Florida. Trying to do that distance in one day, which in the best case is going to take 17 hours. Realistically, with 2 cars, you'll probably need even more time, plus you'll be losing an hour going east.

I've been through Paducah, but never stayed there. However, there are plenty of chain motels right off the freeway and you should have no problem finding a nice place to stay. The KY visitor center off I-24 is very nice, set inside a classic old house, and they help was very friendly when I stopped in for some tips and ideas.

attackoflance Guest

Well thats why I am figuring it might take us into the second day.

I hope you mean the THIRD day.

Default point of confusion

I think GLC is showing why you are getting some confusing responses. After I recommended taking 3 days, you talked about taking a "quicker trip" and then was framing things up as "taking a second day." When you mean taking 2 days after your first day of driving to Kentucky.

Anyway, Land Between the Lakes is just off your direct route and was a detour I enjoyed between Paducah and Nashville. Also a bit off the direct route would be places like Mammoth Cave or the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, or the Jack Daniels Distillery not too far off I-24 in Tennessee. I'll also say that I really enjoyed the drive itself between Nashville and Atlanta - a quite scenic trip through the hills and mountains even if you stick to the freeway.

attackoflance Guest

I meant a 3rd day, or 2nd after Kentucky sorry. I will look into those places Michael thanks :)

attackoflance Guest

The MAmmoth Cave looks amazing, is that something you have done yourself?

Default Mammoth

Yes, I had the pleasure of visiting Mammoth Cave on a RoadTrip I did a few years back. A few things to note: I arrived very early in the morning, in time for the first tours, and this turned out to be a very good thing. Despite the fact that it was mid-July, I was able to sign up for a tour as a walk-up and my tour was not terribly crowded. But when we emerged, the parking lot was full, and wait times to get into the caves were over an hour. There are several tours so you should be able to find something to suit the time you have available, your pocketbook, your fitness level, and your interests. The tours should be described on their website. Note that the tours are extra, and not covered by the National Parks Pass. For an extra, and free, treat, follow the signs to the Green River Ferry, and enjoy the (very) short ride across the river, and the longer ride through the Park.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 09-02-2009 at 08:48 AM.