Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Slovenians in America

Hi to all;-)
    I am new to this forum and from a country where English is not our mother language so I would like to apologize for all the grammar mistakes in advance.
    I have a few questions;-) First about NP (NP stands for national park pass right)? I saw that there is usually admission for the parks, around 25 $, is that for a car or per person? Are all the parks included? So if you pay for annual pass which is I think 85$, you pay per person.
    About the coupons- I looked at those on the web page provided a few threads back and don't know if the price is per room or per person.
    Tay you said you paid 55$ per night for a hotel, that is for a room? Do motel usually have breakfasts?
    How much are usually the camps? How do they charge you there? For a car and for a tent and for every person?
    If all goes well I plan a road trip for next year, for about 45 days, 38 days on a road;-) I have to get as much information as possible to see if I can realize my dream, both from financial view point and from enough time for the trip I have in mind.
    Thank you in advance for your answers,
    greetings from Slovenia;-)
    Nastja

1. Parks admission is generally per car. The $80 pass is good for a year, and it admits the whole car, except to facilities that charge per person - and in those, it admits the car and up to 4 adults and unlimited children. It is good for all Federal recreation areas, but does not cover fees such as parking (example - Mount Rushmore, which does not charge admission but charges $10 for parking) or camping. The pass may get you discounts on some fees and souvenirs.

2. Hotels charge per room. The fee for multiple people in one room may be more than for just one person, but they never charge a fixed amount per person. There is a limit of 4 people in one room. They may charge extra for rollaway beds. They may or may not have breakfasts, and when they do, they vary from basic "continental" to a full buffet spread or menu ordering. Some are free, and some are not.

3. Campsites charge per site, not per person. They may have a limit on how many tents and how many people can use one site. Fees vary, I've seen as low as $8 and as high as $30. Some parks have "dispersed" camping at no charge, where you have to hike in, there are no facilities, and you have to leave with everything you brought in.

Default Slovenians in America

Thank you for you answers;-)
    So buying an NP looks like a good idea;-) We plan to visit as many parks as possible;-) Where do I buy one;-) Do I have to do it online or can I drive to the first park that has admission and buy it there;-)
    So you would advice camping if we want to save money?
    If all goes well there will be four girls traveling with a rented car;-) So if we go to a camp we would pay 30$ for a tent for 4 people? Do you have to pay for anything else in the camp?
    Have any of you tried couch surfing?
    Cheers, nastja

Quote Originally Posted by Wotangowest View Post
    Hi to all;-)
    I am new to this forum and from a country where English is not our mother language so I would like to apologize for all the grammar mistakes in advance.
    Absolutely no need to apologize... your grammar would put a lot of people over here to shame.

About the coupons- I looked at those on the web page provided a few threads back and don't know if the price is per room or per person.
    camps? How do they charge you there? For a car and for a tent and for every person?

Nastja
    Nastja,

If you are talking about the hotel and motel discount coupons, they vary greatly. I have seen some which specify for how many (e.g. 1-2 or 3-4) or even for one person, two, three, etc. Most also have other conditions such as, not on Fri and Sat, not for special events, etc.

Campgrounds normally charge for two people, and have a charge for each extra person. But I have seen campgrounds where their base charge is for up to six people. It pays to read the fine print in each case. I am sure their websites will give all those details.

Lifey who wishes you happy planning

So you would advice camping if we want to save money?
    If all goes well there will be four girls traveling with a rented car;-) So if we go to a camp we would pay 30$ for a tent for 4 people? Do you have to pay for anything else in the camp?
    I have paid from $15 to $43 to pitch a tent or sleep in my car. Sometimes with, sometimes without power. It depends very much on where you are. All too often the showers have been an extra charge.

Have any of you tried couch surfing?
    Cheers, nastja
    When I arrive in San Francisco in October, there is a lady from couchsurfing who will be picking me up at the railway station, and has offered two nights accommodation. Couchsurfing is a great community. However....

Make sure you get to know the person well beforehand. You have enough time if you start working on that now. Contact as many in the area where you would like to be, and see how the responses come. From that establish a relationship via messages with a couple of people and then decide which one you will get on with best, or you would feel most comfortable with. (I have been corresponding with the lady in SF for two months now.) Be sure when you accept accommodation that you offer something in return... clean the bathroom / make a meal / wash the dishes / buy some flowers / or my favourite, take your host to dinner.

With four of you, you may find it harder to find a host, as most are set up for one or two at the most. But I would still give it a try. It is great to stay with locals wherever you travel.

Lifey who has made many friends couchsurfing

Default On Your Own

Bienvenida! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I've moved your inquiry to its own thread so that all your questions and answers are in the same place, devoted to your trip.

Both the individual National Park entry fees and the National Parks Passes are for the driver and occupants of the vehicle. There is not a per person charge. If you plan to visit 4 or more parks, get the pass. The $85 fee will cover everyone's entry to all parks. There may be extra charges for camping (per camp site) or special tours (per person) that are not covered by the general entry fee.

American motel prices are usually quoted on a per room basis and, depending on the number and size of the beds, may accommodate up to 4 people. Sometimes there will be a small charge (around $5) for each person more than 2 or 4. If they offer breakfast as part of the price, they will say so, but note that a 'Continental Breakfast' may be little more than coffee and rolls.

As noted, campsites are on a per site basis, and you can expect to pay between $15-30 for state and national parks, and a bit more for commercial campsites. You will usually pay when you check in and get assigned a site.

AZBuck

The pass is $80 and can be bought at the gate at the first park you visit. You can buy it online, but I don't know if it's available to overseas residents that way due to credit card and shipping address issues.

Hi again;-)
    Thanks to all for your fast answers;-) I was looking for my threads in the forum where I posted my question and when I couldn't find it I thought I've done something wrong;-) But now that I found it here I feel very important;-)
    Already your answers gave me a lot to think about and a lot of useful information;-)
    Anyway just wanted to say that this will not be my first time in USA. I have visited your country first 10 years ago and second time this March. Both times I stayed for 14 days and have seen Boston, New York, Indiana in PA, Washington DC and some parts of Virginia. But my dream has always been Montana;-) I don't have enough information by now to make a final plan of the trip but I can tell you a bit about it and would love to hear what you think and how much money do you think you would spend for a trip like that, since you know the prices and the conditions in USA. We would fly to New York and stay there for 3-4 days, than take a cheap bus to Washington DC, stay there for 3 days, rent a car, drive down to Tennessee, probably trough Virginia, spend two days in Tennessee, than to Kentucky, from Kentucky to Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming(at least two to three days there), Montana all the way up to Glacier Np, than to North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois,Indiana, West Virginia and than back to Washington DC, where we are flying from. The road trip would last for 38 days. Is that in your opinion realistic?
    Nastja

That is very realistic in 38 days.

Something you may want to consider - you could rent a RV (campervan) if you are comfortable driving a 30 foot long vehicle, and essentially be self-contained. This will eliminate the need for hotels or purchasing camping equipment such as a tent. You can stay in campgrounds that welcome RV's, and even an occasional truckstop. I don't know if this would necessarily save you money, but you may like the lifestyle.

Wow!! What a trip! That is a great timeframe.

You will see such diverse country and scenery, and meet such a variety of people... you will have experienced more than most citizens.

Lifey who wishes you well