Default Pacific coast highway, cambriato cannon beach

I am planning a roadtrip with my 22 year old daughter and my 20 year old son from Cambria, CA to Cannon Beach, OR from June 6, 2010 through June 20, 2010. I would love some suggestions for an itinerary, places to stop and stay and a list of things we don't want to miss.

Tucson, AZ

Default It's All Good, All the Way

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

That stretch is, of course, one of the most scenic drives in America. and two weeks is not too much time to spend making the trip, although it is a goodly amount. Just off the top of my head, some of the places you should be looking into as you work your way north include the Hearst Castle in San Simeon, Carmel, the historical walking tour of Monterey as well as the Aquarium and Cannery Row, Alcatraz, Point Reyes National Seashore, Redwood National Park and Redwoods State Park, and the many state parks and wildlife refuges along the Oregon coast. If you have some time while you're in Cannon Beach be sure to visit the Lewis and Clark sites around Astoria and the mouth of the Columbia River as well as the many formal gardens in Portland.

Default Cambria to Cannon Beach

Thanks for the great info. Do you know of any good lodging and unique places to eat?

SF Bay Area

Default Personal favorites

Restaurants in Cambria: Robins for dinner, Lynns for breakfast/brunch.

"Splurge" lodging: any of the waterfront B&Bs in Pacific Grove, Benbow Inn outside of Garberville (start of Avenue of the Giants), Tu Tu Tun lodge on the Rogue River (near Gold Beach).

The Benbow has a great restaurant and bar. The Tu Tu Tun (depending on time of year) also serves wonderful family-style meals. This place traditionally rates high (was #1 in North America on the 2006 or 2007 T+L reader's survey), but has recently changed owners so I can't vouch for current conditions; our stay was memorable. You can pick up (with reservation) a jetboat ride from the Tu Tu Tun dock.

"Funky" lodging: Chateau at Oregon Caves. Needs some TLC, but still a fun place to stay. Two restaurants here: a 50s-style soda parlor/coffee shop and a more formal restaurant, complete with creek running down the center.

Want to stay there but haven't yet and not directly on your path: The Lodge at Crater Lake.

Benbow Inn:

Photo: Don Casey

Oregon Caves Chateau:

Linda on the dock at Tu Tu Tun:

Front Row - Window seat on a jetboat:

Crater Lake Lodge:

Thanks for the great info on the B&Bs and restaurants, this is just the sort of thing I am looking for.