1. Default Chicago to Mount Rushmore Help!

Hi everyone.

I am a Brit who is planning a road trip across the US for next summer. I have got most of my route sorted, and have a pretty good idea of where I am going to stop and what I am going to see. However, I am a bit stuck for ideas between Chicago and Mount Rushmore. Can anyone recommend any sights/attractions on the way? Or any towns that you think I should stop in? It will be myself and my boyfriend, and we are 22.

Thanks!

Default Some favorites

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are quite a lot of things to do, and here are some of my favorites for things along I-90. If you are looking to do this trip in 2 days, Sioux Falls would be about the halfway point.

3. Default A Few Questions from a 1st Timer

Hi.

I am planning my first ever US road trip (I am a Brit by the way), and I just have a few questions that I hoped someone could answer for me.

I have planned a good route, etc, and I plan to camp most nights. I was wondering what KOA sites are like? Would you recommend them? I quite like the idea of free wireless interent at these. Also, do I need to book campsites (other than at popular places like the Grand Canyon etc), or can I just turn up?

Another camping question. This will probably sound really stupid! If a tent sight has electricity, do I need any type of adapter (other than a US-UK plug adapter) to use it?

Thanks
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-26-2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: merged - please don't create multiple threads about the same trip

Default basics

KOAs are a bit like the McDonalds of the camping world. There's certainly nothing wrong with them, and they all have a certain level of service that goes along with them. However, they are also a bit cookie-cutter, they often tend to be more oritented towards RVs, so you'll usually have a lot less space and privacy than a state or national park campsite. They also tend to be quite a bit more expensive. I personally haven't stayed at one in years, but I also don't need or want resort-style amenties when I'm camping.

I rarely use electric sites, but every one I've ever used has had a regular US-style outlet, however most will also have an additional higher voltage outlet for RVs.

Default Hook up cable.

Another camping question. This will probably sound really stupid! If a tent sight has electricity, do I need any type of adapter (other than a US-UK plug adapter) to use it?
    You will need an electric hook up lead to plug into the supply point on the site. The lead will need some sockets on the other end to plug appliances into. This is where you would use your UK/US PLUG adapter for any appliances you have brought with you. I would think they are readily available from camp shops as they are here in the UK.

On a couple of occasions I have found that the power outlet only had a 30 amp plug. In each case the office of the campground allowed me to borrow a conversion plug to plug in my standard 15 amp lead.

I normally bring a conversion plug from home, into which I then plug a power board with four outlets. That allows me to charge my phone, camera, computer and still have a spare for my sandwich maker, electric jug/kettle or light.

Lifey who likes to camp in comfort