1. Default Were Planning a road trip, Help please.

Hi all,

Myself and 2 male friends are planning a road trip for 2010 in america.

We live in the UK and want to discover america.

We have 2 - 3 weeks to do it and want to see and do as much as possible.

Any suggestions on which road trip is best? also anything we need to watch out for and need to do etc?

any advice much appreciated

Cheers all

2. Default

Hi David,

we've just come back from a road trip around the west of America. A few things we found useful:

I wouldn't try and cover everywhere by car. We started in Vegas and drove to Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion and then back to LV. We then flew to San Francisco (for about £50) stayed there for a few days and then drove down the coast to LA with a few stop overs. If you wanted to do a coastal drive this one is amazing and it is better to drive North to South because then you're on the right side of the road for the views.

Last year we flew to New York and then drove around New England ending in Boston. If you wanted to drive around this area i would recommend getting the train a little way out and then picking the car up to avoid having to drive through New York. All the other cities we went to (including LA) were Ok to drive around.

I should also say we are from England so not used to driving on the wrong side of the road but found it fairly easy, although a sat nav does really help when you're trying to find your way to accomodation in a strange city!

Hope this helps!

3. Default Greetings!

Ever consider Route 66? It goes from Chicago all the way to CA. There are tons of cool places and attractions to go to and to see. There is a section on this site with all the things Route 66 has to offer.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default no bests

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

One things you should really keep in mind is that there is no "best" one-size-fits-all roadtrip. The beauty of the roadtrip is that you get to go whereever your own interests take you.

It takes about a week to drive from coast to coast, so with 2-3 weeks you'll have to figure out if thats what you want to do or if you want to just focus on a specific location or two, and explore that or those parts of the county.

This entire site is built to help you plan a trip, so I would encourage you to look around here a bit more, both in the forum and the many articles in the planning section, so you get an idea of what will work best for you!

5. Default

hi lisana
    Thanks for your reply.
    So would you recommend hiring a car when you arrive rather than pre booking?
    Also how long did each of your trips take you and what time of year did you go?
    Last edited by daveyboyrocks83; 08-24-2009 at 04:09 PM.

South of England.

Default Building blocks.

Hi davey,
    You will almost certainly get a better deal by booking a rental car prior to leaving the UK by using the comparision sites to see what deals are available. Going by your board name I am guesing you are 26 yrs old but if there any members in your group that are under 25 who want to drive there will be hefty surcharges. If you decided on a one way trip you will also be facing an extra charge.
    You havn't told us much about yourselves and what you are looking for, your interests or whether you prefer city's or the great outdoors, camping or creature comforts and with the whole country being at your disposal there are endless options Being from the UK myself I have to say that the Southwest has a lot to offer. With 2 to 3 weeks you could see city's such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas, drive the Cali coast on route 1, visit National parks that will "blow your mind" such as Yosemite, Grand canyon, Arches, Zion and Bryce canyon and then there is the desert landscapes of Death valley and the Mojave. Further West you have the Alpine scenery of Colorado with many peaks over 14000 ft. You won't get to see it all but there is no shortage of options

Having said that, I totally agree with Michael, you need to have a look at a map and do a little research with your mates and find some things that you really want to see and do and start putting some dots on the map. Once you have done so you can see what appeals to you around those dots and add some more. Once you have got those dots we can help you join them up but at this stage you really need some kind of structure to build from.
    Enjoy the planning, it's a great part of the journey !