1. Default San Francisco to Las Vegas in 2 days (ideas please!)

This is my first time is this forum, and I was looking for some ideas. I am planning to drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas. My plan is to sleep somewhere in the middle the first day and arrive in Las Vegas the second day early in the afternoon. I am sleeping in Las Vegas that night and coming back to SF the next day.

What do you recommend me to do the first day and the 3rd day on the way back? I have two main options: trip through Highway 1 or some trip to Yosemite or Sequoia. I would appreciate a lot concrete suggestions or any other ideas.

Thanks!

Default It's Always Nice to Have Options

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You're not leaving yourself a lot of time for this trip as it is normally a full day's drive by the most efficient route (through Bakersfield using I-5/CA-58/I-15) between San Francisco and Las Vegas. Still you might be able to squeeze in a scenic drive in a day and a half as long as you keep it pretty direct. For that reason, and because Big Sur is both closer to San Francisco and out of the way for a drive to Las Vegas, I'd suggest that you go through Yosemite, over Tioga Pass, south on US-395 and then through Death Valley on CA-190 on your way to Las Vegas. You could overnight around Independence, Lone Pine, or even in Death Valley itself and still have time to get to Las Vegas by the next afternoon. But with only a day to get back to San Francisco, you'll pretty much have to stick to the Bakersfield route.

AZBuck

3. Default

That sounds very good. Actually, the day before heading to Vegas, I plan to do Highway 1 from Monterey to Bahia Tiburon, so the coastal scenic trip is kind of well covered already.

So, if I were to sleep in Death Valley, which are the essential places to visit along that route you suggested?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-19-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: in-line navigation, so block quote not really needed here

Default Monterey to Tiburon to Las Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by alex123 View Post
    That sounds very good. I plan to do Highway 1 from Monterey to Bahia Tiburon, so the coastal scenic trip is kind of well covered already.
    The most scenic part of Highway One is south of Monterey, were you planning to drive CA-1 to San Francisco and then over to Tiburon? It doesn't really make much sense -- this time of year, it's going to be foggy most of the day.

And then a drive from Tiburon to Death Valley isn't really doable unless you are planning to be on the road 12+ hours. Maybe I've misunderstood something here?

Mark

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    The most scenic part of Highway One is south of Monterey, were you planning to drive CA-1 to San Francisco and then over to Tiburon? It doesn't really make much sense -- this time of year, it's going to be foggy most of the day.

And then a drive from Tiburon to Death Valley isn't really doable unless you are planning to be on the road 12+ hours. Maybe I've misunderstood something here?

Mark
    I was planning to do the 17-mile drive, then go north on CA-1, take CA-92 in Half Moon Bay, cross the Golden Gate Bridge and stop in Sausalito or Bahia Tiburon. Next day I would start from San Jose, where I live.

Unfortunately I only have these days with some friends that are visiting:

* One day for SF
    * One extra day around the SF bay (Monterey-Sausalito?)
    * One day to reach somewhere near Las Vegas
    * One day for Vegas
    * One day to get back from Vegas.