Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Brits-USA Road Trip Q's

Hi people, I did write out a full on essay, and i mean a full 30mins! But the computer decided to play up!

Therefore i shall keep it short and sweet for my sakes aswell as yours!

Road Trip- Summer 2011
    Two mate will be both 21yrs old.
    See as much as america as possible in 3/4 months
    Renting/Buying a car- van? h2? muscle car?
    sleeping- mixture of hotels, motels, hostels, and roadside car sleeping.

We want to explore america, human attractions, national parks, visiting towns, cities, and the countryside.

We want culture, bull riding, being a cowboy, Clubbing in LA, NYC, Gambling, Eating regional foods, we want to do everything!

Do we plan this or just go and get a car and do whatever? how much will this cost $5k, $10k each?

What do people think, advise welcomed!

Cheers, Alex.

Default the big roadblock

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Transportation will clearly be your biggest challenge. Buying a car is extremely difficult to do if you are not a resident of the US. You need to have some sort of legal address, and typically have to prove that you reside there, to take care of all of the paperwork and insurance that comes with buying and owning a car. If you are traveling on the Visa Waiver Program (where you can stay for up to 3 months), it is extremely difficult to show that you are living at a fixed us address.

Renting is usually the best option, and it usually takes about 3 months for a purchased used car to pay for itself anyway. However, because you are under age 25, you will be looking at a significant ($20-30 a day) charge for a rental car.

Your best bet is probably to search European rental agencies and brokers, as some of them may offer better deals than you can get dealing directly with the US companies.

I would really make that your first step, as the costs for your car will likely be your biggest expense, yet it can vary so much that it will be a little difficult to get your total budget number until you've got a better feel for that cost.

3. Default

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply, I was thinking transport would be the major problem.

Excluding costs of renting/buying some kind of transport, what would you say is a reasonable amount of $$$ for a 3 month road trip, ie food, attractions. i Assume its cheaper than England, right?

The only thing that you can assume will be substantially cheaper is petrol, but you have to consider how many miles you will be driving.

Motel/hotel rooms can be anywhere from $40 to well over $100 a night. You cannot just pull off the road and sleep in your car - if you must sleep in the car, it's advised you do so in a truck stop with permission, not highway rest areas. You may want to buy some basic camping gear when you get here, pitching a tent in public campgrounds is generally inexpensive.

You can substantially save on your food budget by purchasing food in a supermarket and keeping it in a cooler. Restaurant meals can add up quickly, but eating out of a cooler exclusively for 3 months is not good from a health standpoint. Many hotels offer free breakfasts, varying from a standard "continental" breakfast to full hot spreads.

If I had to come up with an arbitrary number for planning purposes, I'd say you should allow $75 a day per person for everything including petrol but excluding the car rental cost and airfare.

Default It's a range

Some of the more budget-minded are able to road trip in the USA for less than $50 per day (excluding car rental airfare). The rule of thumb I use is $100 per day per person....

Here's a very good breakdown from an Aussie roadtripper on her recent solo 62-day road trip adventure.

Mark

6. Default

Thanks for the replys, had a quick search on Hertz for car hire. best price i got was $8800 for 3 months, thats not including adding an additional driver, and its a little compact car. I think this is going to be a challenge to sort out, also i hae noticed most places you need to be 25 to hire.

That price sounds ridiculous to me. Check with some UK travel agencies - they have a way of getting better prices than you can by yourself.

8. Default

I have an idea, why dont i just wing it? fly over to the US and try to by a car hoping the saleman would use his address.

Default are you joking?

Aside from the fact that I already mentioned, you need to be able to not only have an address but be able to prove that you actually live there, you would be taking an tremendous leap of faith.

Essentially, you'd have to find a sales person so desperate for a sale that he'd be willing to potentially break the law, and open himself up to a whole boatload of liability should you get into a crash.

This is a serious obsticle that you're going to have to work hard to overcome. If you want to make your trip a reality, you'll have to start thinking a little more seriously about how you can make it happen and not throwing out magical pipe dreams and hope they just work themselves out.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    This is a serious obsticle that you're going to have to work hard to overcome. If you want to make your trip a reality, you'll have to start thinking a little more seriously about how you can make it happen and not throwing out magical pipe dreams and hope they just work themselves out.
    Why cant it just be simple, fly over, jump in a car and go!

Anyway think ive now found the best quote thats humanly possible,

Car- $26 per day
    U25 Surcharge- $15 per day
    Compulsory collision damage waiver- $12 per day
    Compulsury Liability waiver- $14 per day

x84days= $5628

This is not an exact quote, and does not include additional drivers.

Is this all the insurance i would need?
    In England i just have TPFT, so i dont really undersant al this waiver stuff.