1. Default Los Angeles to New york

hi everyone, me and my wife is planning a road trip first week of september. this would be our first time in US. we will be arriving in Los Angeles by sept 9. and hopefully catch a conan o brien show live.

Our iterinary would be as follows:

Sept 10 night driving to Las Vegas
    sept 11 las vegas
    Sept 12 leave early morning for grand canyon
    sept 13 leave early morning for yellowstone
    sept 14 hiking in yellowstone
    sept 15 pass thru mount rushmore and stop at sioux city
    sept 16 arrive at chicago just a quick pass thru and spend the night
    sept 17 arrive at Nigarra falls
    sept 18 arrive at new york City

our route

we need to be in boston by sept 20 for a friends wedding.

We plan to camp along the way. Any tips and suggestion ? We will be needing mobile internet while on road, any tips on where to get and how much for prepaid mobile phone and unlimited internet that have coverage over the path that we're passing thru ?

You need to add 20% to those estimated drive times on Google Maps. Computers don't have to get fuel, get food, go to the bathroom, or deal with construction and traffic delays.

Your trip is trying to cover way too much in way too little time. No way should you try to drive from the Grand Canyon to Yellowstone in 1 day.

Default significant problems

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You really are going to have to make some changes, as your current plan really doesn't respect just how big of a country the US is.

You actually have another big problem with the map you've created - a bit of a glitch with Googlemaps puts their marker for the Grand Canyon in the middle of the canyon - but not at a place that is actually accessable by car. Try putting in "grand canyon village, az" for the actual location of the south rim of the national park.

From there, you've just got some drives that simply aren't manageable. Its nearly 900 miles from the Canyon to Yellowstone, a good portion on 2 lane roads. Making it a minimum of 16 hours on the road.

Yellowstone to Sioux Falls (where you've placed a marker on a map) again, nearly 900 miles, again way too far to do in one day, and making a stop at Rushmore would be impossible at this pace. Continuing on to Sioux City would add yet another 100 miles to this trip.

The rest of your legs are manageable, but will still leave you very little time to stop and see anything.

We generally recommend keeping your long days on the road to 500-600 miles, which is a full day on the road, leaving time for a couple of short stops along the way. Trying to make 800, 900, and 1000 mile distances in one day isn't wise and it certainly isn't fun. I would strongly recommend you rework your plan keeping those factors in mind.

4. Default

glad i posted on this forum. We don't really have much time and just trying to squeeze what we can. Me and my wife just want really to hike and see the national park of US.

Thanks midwest michael for the suggestion. I made the correction on the path ways. after considering ur suggestion, i made the following adjustments

sept 11 las vegas
    Sept 12 leave morning for grand canyon, leave afternoon for salt lake city
    sept 13 leave early morning for yellowstone
    sept 14 hiking in yellowstone
    sept 15 pass thru mount rushmore and stop at sioux city
    sept 16 arrive at chicago just a quick pass thru and spend the night
    sept 17 arrive at Nigarra falls
    sept 18 arrive at new york City

was rethinking about the red part. it is a good drive ? was thinking of spending another day hiking in yellowstone and drive back to salt lake city for a flight to new york. We basically just want to spend time with each other, unwind and away from everything. Not really much expectations, just hope for the best experience and surprises along the way.

Default still way way way too much

In "fixing" your problem, you might have made things worse.

There is absolutely no way you can drive from Vegas to Salt Lake City, via the Grand Canyon in one day. That is 800 miles, mostly on 2 lane roads! Even if you didn't even get out of your car at the Canyon, you'd be on the road for 16 hours!

I suspect your flying plan may make more sense and would let you actually see some of the places that you are currently planing to zip by. It would also let you expand your reach and visit some of the several national parks that lie between Grand Canyon and Yellowstone.

6. Default

After taking advice of midwest michael, i try to do more research on how to breakdown the trip.

sept 11 las vegas
    Sept 12 leave morning for grand canyon
    sept 13 leave for bryce canyon
    sept 14 leave early morning for yellowstone
    sept 15 hiking in yellowstone
    sept 16 hike in yellow stone
    sept 17 drive to salt lake city fly to new City
    sept 18 arrive in new york city

The new route
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour....291854,90&z=4

U think this is a better route ? Still wondering hows the drive from yellowstone to chicago. And missing also niagarra falls. We plan to hike part of appalachian in maine after attending our friends wedding in boston on sept 20 and fly back to LA on sept 25. We plan to rent a car on our initial stretch, any more advice ?=)

Default Red Flags

Any itinerary that has you driving through the night and then 'enjoying' a visit to some place the next day should raise a warning flag that something is not quite right. Any itinerary that has you driving over 600 miles a day should raise a warning flag. Your itinerary has both. I agree with Mark that you're just trying to fit too much into too little time and will end up enjoying none of it. I would suggest that you leave out Yellowstone and instead concentrate on getting good nights' sleeps and seeing the area between Los Angeles and Salt Lake City, including the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce National Parks, Death Valley and maybe Arches. There is plenty of great hiking in those unique locations and you'll get to do far more of it if you aren't spending so much of your time driving to more far flung places.

AZBuck