1. Default Vegas to LA - Sunday Drive Time

Hi, I am new to the boards (great site btw,) and will be doing a day trip to LA from Vegas in a few weeks. I just wanted to know what traffic is like for a Sunday. I have read 4-6 hours, and want to plan my trip so I have more time to leave earlier if I need too.

Right now this is what I am looking at for driving:
    - Vegas to LA (leave Vegas before 6AM on a Sunday)
    - LA to Vegas (leave LA around 9 PM on a Sunday)

Also for a car good on mileage, is one tank usually enough each way?

Thanks

Default one day

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Driving to Vegas on a Sunday morning shouldn't be too bad. I'd still figure at least 5 hours based on downtown LA, obviously, add or subtract based on where in the greater LA area you are starting from.

Coming back on a Sunday night could be a little more problematic, but still shouldn't be too bad. I know I've made the drive around that time a few times, and didn't run into any major problems, but there will be a lot more traffic on that stretch of road, than most rural freeways late on a Sunday night.

The one way trip is only about 250 miles (Again, a potential large variation depending upon your exact starting point) which is within the range of most cars.

Are you thinking of doing this whole trip in one day? That would be a pretty brutally long one... You're going to be seriously exhausted during your drive back.

3. Default

Thanks.
    I'm doing the trip reverse leaving Vegas to LA in the morning, then LA to Vegas back at night. Any idea how traffic will be like in those directions? I'll be driving too the LA Convention Center area.

I know it's going to be a long day, but there will be a few of us driving, and making sure we are well rested.

Thanks again :)

Default An update from a local....

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Driving to Vegas on a Sunday morning shouldn't be too bad. I'd still figure at least 5 hours based on downtown LA, obviously, add or subtract based on where in the greater LA area you are starting from.
    100% OK.
    Coming back on a Sunday night could be a little more problematic, but still shouldn't be too bad.
    Believe me, YOU DO NOT NOT WANT TO BE ON THE ROAD BETWEEN Las Vegas and LA anytime between the hours of 1:00 pm and 7:00 pm. The back-up is usually measured in hours instead of minutes. I have seen parts of the highway in a rolling-parking-lot status for more than 30 mile intervals. If you decided to do it and leave anytime after noon on Sunday -- you need to allow 6-9 hours to make the trip.

Mark

Default As stated above....

Quote Originally Posted by y2jdogg View Post
    I'm doing the trip reverse leaving Vegas to LA in the morning, then LA to Vegas back at night. Any idea how traffic will be like in those directions?
    If you leave by 10:00 am on Sunday the drive will be fine. Coming back earlier than about 7:00 pm you'll be in traffic. (probably an extra hour on the way back).

mark

6. Default

Thanks a lot for the info, and your help.

I can only imagine what the traffic would be like in the afternoon in Vegas, as everyone leaves from the weekend.