Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default LA to Vancouver, need comments. Thx!

Hello everyone!

Me and three friends (two guys & two girls) are planning to go on a 11 days road trip from LA to Vancouver, BC on 10/7/09 and back to LA on 10/17/09. The following is our current plan:

10/7 --- take off from Los Angeles after work around 7-8pm, arrive and lodge in Sacramento.

10/8 --- Drive to Crater Lake, OR spent 2-3 hours there, then stay over at Eugene, OR

10/9 --- go into Portland (shopping, sightseeing (Tom McCall Waterfront Park)...etc)

10/10 --- Spend another half day in the city then head to Seattle, WA or Mt. Rainier NP

10/11 --- Seattle (Pike Place Market + Space Needle + ...), then go to Vancouver for dinner

10/12 --- Victoria garden + Richmond

10/13 --- whole day in Vancouver area

10/14 --- Olympic National park +

10/15 --- Tillamook cheese factory + Depoe Bay +

10/16 --- Redwood NP+ Eureka

10/17 --- San Francisco and home(LA)

We are planning to take IS5 up north and Pacific Coast Highway down south until SF and back to IS5 going home.

Our budget is $4,000 for all basics, lodging, car rental, gas, meals and admission fees.

Do the schedule and budget seem reasonable and doable? Are we missing any major attractions?

If it's necessary to catch some must-see, we can extend it for a maximum of 2 days (back to LA on 10/19). But I'd like to have one to two days of resting before returning to work.

Any comments/suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Some comments

Quote Originally Posted by vila View Post
    Me and three friends (two guys & two girls) are planning to go on a 11 days road trip from LA to Vancouver, BC on 10/7/09 and back to LA on 10/17/09.
    A perfect time of the year to be on the road. I hope you are already really good friends -- that's a lot of diving for 10 days! Even though you probably think you already know the results -- I'd taking this quiz and make sure that all four people are thinking about the same style of a road trip! And Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    10/7 --- take off from Los Angeles after work around 7-8pm, arrive and lodge in Sacramento.
    There won't be much time spent in the motel in Sacramento. You'll need every bit of seven hours to reach Sacramento -- if you leave LA at 8:00 pm, you'll reach your motel at ~3 am and then you want to drive to Crater Lake and still reach Eugene that night. I think you'll be pushing it a bit too hard...

The rest of your trip is probably doable -- but I build some rest time into it if I were you.

Mark

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    There won't be much time spent in the motel in Sacramento. You'll need every bit of seven hours to reach Sacramento -- if you leave LA at 8:00 pm, you'll reach your motel at ~3 am and then you want to drive to Crater Lake and still reach Eugene that night. I think you'll be pushing it a bit too hard...
    Mark
    Thanks a lot Mark. Yes, the first three days concerns me too. Now I'm thinking about stoping by Fresno or Stockton on the first night(10/7), instead of Sacramento. Then stop by Medford for the second night(10/8). Is there any must-see in between Fresno, CA and Medford, OR? Is it a good idea to stop by Shasta Lake or Mt. Shasta on the way?

A couple more questions:

What is the reasonable amount of time to spend in the city of Portland, OR?

Also, food is huge to all four of us. Any recommendation for famous legend restaurants thru our entire trip is highly welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you for your input!

Default Not the Mountain but the Lake

There is no easy access to Mount Shasta, the view from I-5 is about as close as you can get to the mountain by car, but certainly you can spare an hour or two to visit Lake Shasta.

AZBuck

5. Default Getting to Vancouver Island

Thank you for your suggestion!

I have a couple more questions:

Is ferry the only way getting into Vancouver Island? We are only spending one or maybe half of a day on the island and not really sure if it is worth it to spend $200 for the roundtrip fares to transport one car and 4 passengers. Any suggestions?

If we have to choose between Olympic NP & Mt Rainier NP, which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

There are only 2 ways to get to Vancouver Island - by water or by air. There are no bridges or tunnels from the mainland.

hey there! I currently live in Vancouver, BC and was also raised on the island in Victoria so your post caught my eye!

I recently took a trip to Portland and spent 4 days... and I can say that this was probably too much time. Aside from being able to shop without paying taxes, there really wasn't much to see here. I visited the Oregon zoo which was great because I love animals.. ha ha..

The main cool thing about Portland I found was that it's like the micro-brew capital of the states or something like that. We stayed in a motel on this street that literally had about 10 bars per block, for a good like, 20 blocks.. All these little places make their own beers which is pretty cool if you drink beer I guess, although I do not.

Anyways, I just wanted to put in my two cents.. I dont think you'd want to spend more than a day or two in Portland as there are so many more exciting and beautiful things to see in Vancouver and Victoria.

Of course, it depends on what kind of attractions you're looking for! If you need any advice on Vancouver let me know!

oh yeah just wanted to add, in Seattle, if you like music, you should check out the Experience Music Project.. it's a VERY cool music museum, right by the Space Needle.

9. Default Fly one way, drive back

Thank you glc and Carly for your inputs.

After a few discussion, we've decided to fly to Seattle and drive back to LA to cut the driving by about 1000 miles. Our new schedule is like this:

10/8 --- Early flight LAX (6am) to SEA (9am). Drive to Mt. Rainier NP and back to Seattle.

10/9 --- Seattle (1st Starbucks to get my coffee of the day + Pike Place Market + Space Needle +...)

10/10 --- Another half day in Seattle then head to Vancouver, BC

10/11 --- Whole day in Vancouver area (need to figure out what to do there)

10/12 --- Ferry to Vancouver Island (Victoria), Ferry to Port Angeles at night

10/13 --- Olympic National park, Tillamook Cheese Factory, maybe Portland.

10/14 --- Whole day in Portland (shopping & …?), to Eugene at night

10/15 --- Crater Lake NP, Crescent City at night

10/16 --- Redwood NP+ Eureka + Drive-Thru Tree, then lodge somewhere close to Napa

10/17 --- Napa and San Francisco

10/18 --- Another half a day in SF and go home LA

Are we missing anything?

Carly, could you give me advice of some must-see and must-eat for my one day in Vancouver on 10/11?

Thanks again.

how old are you? what kind of stuff do you like?

there's a lot to see in Vancouver. the Vancouver Aquarium is really awesome (ever seen that video of the otters holding hands? this was filmed here ha ha...).. there's Science World altho that's more for kids. Grouse Mountain offers gondola rides.. actually there are three major ski hills here (not sure when ski season starts, you'd have to look that up..) Grouse mountain, Cypress, and Mount Seymour. This is not including Whistler, where they are holding the 2010 winter olympics. but thats like an hour and half drive out of the city. If you have time for that tho, it's a major tourist attraction. Many celebrities have been spotted at Whistler. they have a shopping 'village' where you can walk around, bars where you can party at night, and lots of accomodations. You don't even have to be skiing to have a good time up there so it might be worth checking out if you have time.

Other stuff would be like, shopping on Robson Street downtown, or going to Metrotown, the largest mall in BC.

One thing you wouldn't think of is our beaches. There is an area downtown called English Bay where there are some great beaches and shops. lots of ice cream and cup cakes. heh. plus this is right next to Stanley Park which is a very big tourist attraction. There's like, huge million year old trees, a little train for the kids, pools, plus this is where the Aquarium is. the park is bordered by the ocean and there's a thing called the Sea Wall that wraps all around it, where everyone goes rollerblading, running, etc...

anyways. If i think of more I'll come back. If you can tell me more specifically what you like, I can be more helpful. (ie, you may be more interested in the cannabis headquarters downtown, where you can meet our infamous prince of pot Marc Emery and smoke out of a volcano!)

The other thing I wanted to mention.. taking the ferry to Victoria. if you want to take a late night ferry to port angeles, make sure you're going early in the morning. the first ferry is at 7am usually, and you want to be there by like 6am when you're going on with a car to make sure you don't miss that ferry. they are every hour or two, depending on the season, so you dont want to miss it. then it takes an hour and 35 minutes to get to Swartz bay, which is about a 20 minute drive from Victoria. So you'd arrive in Victoria around 10am, which gives you the afternoon to see a few things.

Ok, dont hesitate to ask me more specific questions.. otherwise, i hope this helps!