Thread: NW to SE

1. Default NW to SE

Hello all,

I would appreciate some advises whether this is doable or needs to be stretched out a bit:

Planning a road trip from Oregon to South Carolina sometimes in September (not sure if September falls under a summer road trip, but I'm sure it's still going to be pretty warm out there so...)

Day 1 - Oregon to Yellowstone, WY (840 miles)
    Day 2 - Yellowstone to Devil's Tower (370 miles)
    Day 3 - DT to Mount Rushmore & drive to Mall of America, Menneapolis (735 miles)
    Day 4 - MOA to Chicago, IL (430 miles)
    Day 5 - Chicago, IL to Indianapolis, IN (177 miles)
    Day 6 - Indianapolis to Atlanta, GA (530 miles)
    Day 7 - Atlanta to Charleston, SC (324 miles)

2 drivers (me & my friend). We want to see some famous places along the way but the main purpose of the trip is to get to Charleston in 7 or 8 days.

Thanks much!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default changes needed

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You really need to make some changes to your plan, driving 700-800 miles a day is just going to be brutal.

Your first day in particular, that's going to be about 16 hours on the road, and leave you exhausted. You're not going to be in any shape to then see Yellowstone, and you're going to spend the rest of your trip trying to get caught up on rest - not a good way to travel.

Similarly, the Mall of America is a significant detour from I-90, and a 750 mile day is just not fun.

On the other hand, Chicago to Indy will only take you a couple hours.

I think you will be much better off if you try to keep your days more even and certainly limiting them to 500-600 miles a day on the road. With 7-8 days, you'll still have time to stop and see a few things along the way, and even stop for a full day in a place or two if you'd like, but if you treat this more like a marathon and not a series of sprints, you're going to have a better and safer time.

South of England.

Default A serious re think required.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Whereas you can cover the overall distance in the time you have and do a little sight seeing the drive from Oregon to Yellowstone is way beyond a normal days drive and will have you on the road for 15 hours. It's just to much to contemplate covering especially right at the start of a multi day trip. You won't have much time to recover if you are visiting Yellowstone and Devils tower and then you have another 13 hour day behind the wheel. Even with 2 drivers it really is to much and I think you need to change your plans to even out your driving days. We generally recommend no more than 5-600 miles a day which will have you on the road for 10 or 11 hours with only time for short breaks for food , gas and bathroom stops.

4. Default Thanks for the quick responses

Hmmm, I must have overlooked how tiring it could be to be on the road over 10 hours each day. I will take your advises into consideration and reduced the trip distances to 500-600 miles per day. This completely changes my itinerary but should be much more relaxing at the end. Many thanks!