1. Default Clueless about roadtripping!

Hi! I'm new to this website and looking at organising a road trip Dec 2010 through Jan and Feb 2011... My husband and I and our two best friends are Australian - never been to the US - and these are the places we want to check out on our trip: New York for Christmas (never had a cold one before!), then Boston, New Jersey, Washington DC, Nashville, Memphis, Miami, New Orleans, Texas, Colorado, Utah, Las Vegas, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Ooh and also Mexico! Obviously, I have no idea about the geography, so this list isn't necessarily in order!

Soooo, my questions are:

1. Is two and a half months long enough for us to do this and not have to rush?

2. Any other places you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default sure

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

2.5 months is a very nice amount of time to make a trip like this. You can drive coast to coast in about a week, so you'll have a whole bunch of time to explore.

One thing I will note is that traveling to Mexico is a bit of a challenge. You can't take a rental car across the border, and there are some significant safety issues right now in Mexico that you should research and consider before making the trip.

Otherwise, I think I would simply recommend taking a look more around this site, both in the forums and the planning sections, and grabbing a map so that you can simply brainstorm ideas and places to fill out the outline you've laid out.

Tucson, AZ

Default Easy Questions to Answer

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

1) Two and a half months is both plenty of time to tour the U.S. You can always use more, of course, but that is sufficient time to see a good bit of it at a pace that will let you actually experience some of it and form some lasting impressions and memories.

2) These forums are full of places that people recommend. Some that would fit in with your general travels are the Appalachian and Rocky Mountains, St. Louis and the great national parks of the southwest including Arches, Zion and the Grand Canyon. The single most useful suggestion that I think I can make to you is that you get at least a little familiar with American geography. Get a good map, or better yet an atlas, of the U.S. and start looking at what's available and where things are. Start marking the places you really feel you must get to and then see what's in between. While two and a half months is a good bit of time, it is not forever and choices will have to be made. You are the one in the best position to make those choices.

I would caution you about your plan to include Mexico on this trip. It will be virtually impossible for you to take your rental car into Mexico, and drug violence in many of the border cities make such an excursion a questionable exercise at present.

4. Default

Thanks for the prompt replies!

I'll get stuck into a bit of geography study and see where it takes me.

Melbourne, Australia

You don't say where in Oz you are from, but if you have a Map World anywhere near you, they have excellent maps of the USA. The National Geographic is very good. They also stock the US road atlas. I have bought both the National Geographic map (approx $50) and the Rand McNally Road Atlas ($30 - $40) there.

You can also get them on the internet. I can't publish the link, as it keeps defaulting to the US where I presently am. If you do a google search through pages in Australia only, you will get their site.

Lifey resting in the Everglades