Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Christmas Trip from Yucaipa CA to Minneapolis

What is the best route to use from Yucaipa CA to Minneapolis MN during Christmas time? I lived in MN for 30+ years, so I've got some winter driving skills! :-)

Are we crazy to try it?

Thanks for your help!
    Greg

Default Straightforward

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

"Best" is not often a word we use around here without qualification, so the 'best' winter route between your city pair is the shortest Interstate route simply because that will be the least number of miles over the best maintained roads. In your case I-15 north to I-70 over the Rockies, I-76 out of Denver up to I-80 and finally I-35 north into the Twin Cities. Is it possible that this road will see snow in winter? Of course. Is it possible that you may have to pull up for a day and let the crews clear the roads? Yes. Is it Possible that another route might happen to be open your travel times? Yes. Is I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80/I-35 still the route to plan to use? YES!.

AZBuck

3. Default

Sounds great!

It appears that I should plan to take the I70 route, but the I80 might be a reasonable backup, followed distantly by the I40 route if a storm blankets the entire region.

Thanks!
    Greg

Depending on conditions, I-90/I-94 is also a possibility. You will just have to play it by ear, and keep an eye on the various states' DOT websites for current road conditions, and weather.com for current and forecasted weather conditions. A laptop with wifi is highly suggested.

I-80 in central and eastern Wyoming is known for strong winds - which in combination with snow can close the road and/or make travel very hazardous.

5. Default

Would it be important to carry tire chains on this trip, or can I avoid this expense?

Default Plan on Spending Time Rather Than Money

As has been discussed here before, chains are not some cure-all that will let you drive through any weather no matter what your level of skill. If you have little experience with winter driving and no experience with chains, then your best solution is to simply stay off the roads when the snow is flying and wait until the road crews have cleared the highway. In states where they experience snow on a regular basis, these crews are well trained and practiced and will have the roads clear in relatively short order.

AZBuck

Well, I do see that you have some winter driving skills - if you are driving your own car, I'd probably buy a set of light duty cable chains just to have them in case you do wind up in a chain control area. I have a set behind the seat in my truck, and have yet to use them. I've seen them at a decent price in Walmarts in California.

8. Default Tire Chains Needed for Interstate Driving from SoCal to Minneapolis?

I'm driving over the Christmas break from SoCal to Minneapolis. I lived in MN for 40+ years and never used tire chains. I intend to only stay on the Interstates. Do I need tire chains?

Based on information received here, I intend to drive the I15/I70 route. I have driven this route many times in the summer.

I will have my iPhone with me. Are their any preferred web sites/apps that people recommend to get travel conditions?

P.S. I lived in MN for over 40 years and have extensive winter driving experience. However, I'll gladly pull over if I can't see due to whiteout conditions.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-09-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Merged multiple threads

Default I don't have an iPhone, but.........

........I've been told you can simply access The Weather Channel's online edition, weather.com. Pre-punch a zip code for locations a couple or three hundred miles apart along your route, allowing you a look at real-time and forecast conditions ahead.

I'd also have the CO, UT, NV, and CA's webcam arrays ready to click up. I know for certain the CO and UT cams are many and almost always working. The cams, of course, give you a real-time look at the roadway.

Foy

Default Best of the Best

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

That question has come up before, so rather than try to repeat all the resources again I'll just point you there. Good Luck!

AZBuck