1. Default Toronto to Orlando

hi everyone.. i'm new to this forum and i am hoping that someone can give me tips for our roadtrip..

we're planning on driving to Orlando (Port Canaveral because we're going on a cruise and we're catching our ship there) from Toronto.. there are 4 drivers (but there's 7 of us all together in a van)..

we're taking QEW through to Buffalo and then stop over at our friend's place in Queens, New York for an hour or 2.. then heading to I-95..

we're leaving in October on a Friday at 3 a.m. and i am hoping that we'll be at Orlando (where we will be checking in a hotel.. the cruise is not until Sunday at 4pm) by 3pm..

i was just wondering if it is possible to reach Orlando by Saturday at 3pm if we leave Toronto at 3am if we take I-95.. (my friends told me that it's about 21 hr drive if we're driving straight through)

if anyone can suggest a good place to stop over and eat dinner by I-95.. does anyone know how many tolls will be passing? how much approximately do we have to fill up for gas? any good sights by going through I-95? any tips for snacks we should bring for the roadtrip? as well if anyone has any tips how to divide the drive from Queens New York to Orlando?

i appreciate any tips or answers to my questions..

thanx

Default The shortest/fastest route doesn't go to Queens!

Quote Originally Posted by impatient_driver View Post
    we're taking QEW through to Buffalo and then stop over at our friend's place in Queens, New York for an hour or 2.. then heading to I-95..
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- if you cut out the Queens stop, you'll save ~ 3-4 hours in terms of traffic delays, toll delays and etc. The fastest possible route is almost a due south route from Toronto to Savanna, Georgia and then south on I-95 to Orlando. This is 1290 miles (2065 Kms) -- even with four drivers, the fastest possible time would require 24 hours of driving (stops for fuel, bathroom, traffic and food).

If you go by way of Queens, you need to allow to allow 30 hours minimum to cover this distance... And you'd better read these tips and get as much rest before as you can.
    how much approximately do we have to fill up for gas?
    Use our free fuel cost calculator!

Mostly you won't have time for sight seeing -- it will be "hammer down" for all of those 30+ hours.

It's a good thing you'll be a cruise, you'll need to sleep for a couple of days to recover!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-07-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo in the title

Default seriously?

What you are talking about really isn't possible, and its certainly not what I would call a safe or sane plan.

Trying to drive from Toronto to Central Florida in one shot just isn't a great idea in the first place. As Mark mentioned, at the absolute fastest that alone would be 24 straight hours on the road. Even with 4 drivers, its extremely difficult to get enough rest to safely cover that kind of ground.

But then on top of trying to do something that's pretty foolish in the first place, you want to add another 300 miles of driving that will detour you into the busiest traffic corridor in North America?

I just don't understand why anyone would build a plan where they are talking about getting from point a to point b as quickly as possible and then add such a major detour that takes an extremely difficult and unrecommended drive and turns it into an impossible, reckless trip.

Your cruise isn't until Sunday Afternoon. There is no reason you need to make yourself miserable and an accident waiting to happen by doing this much driving on this timeline. You've got a whole extra day, so use it, and spend the night on the road Saturday night, and finish your trip Sunday morning. Everyone will be much better off this way.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post

"...But then on top of trying to do something that's pretty foolish in the first place, you want to add another 300 miles of driving that will detour you into the busiest traffic corridor in North America?

I just don't understand why anyone would build a plan where they are talking about getting from point a to point b as quickly as possible and then add such a major detour that takes an extremely difficult and unrecommended drive and turns it into an impossible, reckless trip..."

while I appreciate your "concerns" i feel that you do not NEED to understand why we choose to stop over at Queens before heading down to Florida.. if you must know, the reason we are stopping over there is because we are visitng my friend who is very sick at the moment.. that is the reason why i planned a detour and what you call a "reckless trip"..

i thought forums like this is suppose to help you out with things that you have questions about and not judge your planned trip.. thank you nonetheless for your input Midwest Michael.. but what i wanted answers to was not answered by you but rather it was ridiculed.. thank you!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-11-2009 at 06:32 AM. Reason: fixed quote format

Default helping is more than being a cheerleader

Having a sick friend is a good reason to travel to Queens, but its not an excuse to not only endanger your own lives, but also become a serious danger to everyone else with whom you will be sharing the road.

I'm sorry that you consider honest criticism of what is a quite frankly reckless plan to be a bad thing. Certainly, no one here can force you to do anything, but when you are planning to do something that is every bit as dangerous as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you should expect to be told that your plan is a bad idea. While telling you that your plan is a bad idea, you were also given ways that you can change your plans to make this trip much less reckless. We hope that you will consider them, but ultimately, only you can decide trying to drive under an artificial timeline is more important than being a safe and responsible citizen.

Bottom line - if you need to stop in Queens, you really should add a day to the trip. I believe that is what Mark and Michael are trying to tell you.

Do you have any real concept of exactly how long it's going to take you to get from I-87 north of NYC into Queens, and back out to I-95? Do you also realize how congested I-95 is between NYC and south of Washington DC? You really have to plan accordingly.