1. Default

We are two guys, both 27 years old, driving to New York City as my friend is going to Med School. We have a truck and are flexible about sleeping in camping sites or hotels. Our plan is to take route 40 to Nashville then the 81 to Washington DC then New York. We have about 8 days to get there. Our plan of now is:

Los Angeles to Albuquerque
    Albuquerque to Little Rock/Memphis (play it by ear)
    Little Rock to Nashville (rest day)
    Nashville to Washington DC
    DC to New York

Any recommendations on do's and dont's? We are open to other routes. Looking for good food, people, bars etc... We would love to see natural sites along the way. Thanks for the input!!

PS- We are leaving August 20th. Im assuming we will be driving through solar flares???
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-05-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: merged two posts = same thought

Default What solar flares?

Quote Originally Posted by onewaytrip View Post
    Our plan is to take route 40 to Nashville then the 81 to Washington DC then New York. We have about 8 days to get there.
    Very reasonable time period -- What are these solar flares? Did I miss some recent news or something? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!

It takes about five solid days 8-10 hours per day to drive from Los Angeles to NYC. What kind of truck is this? If you're moving household goods, we recommend that drive more-or-less straight through and not do too much side-tripping.

Mark

3. Default

I was joking with solar flares, I meant to say its going to be hot!

The truck is a standard Toyota Tacoma with a camper shell. Nothing too heavy.

4. Default

Well I leave Friday so I will try and leave some messages about Do's and Don'ts on this itinerary. As of now we will do the following:

LA to Albuquerque (Very long day but Day 1) Interstate 40
    Alb. to Little Rock (another Long Day) Interstate 40
    Little Rock to Nashville (kind of rest day) Interstate 40
    Nashville to Washington DC (via 81)
    DC to NY

I could easily see us breaking up something in the middle because of the really long days but this is the plan as of now.

Default 800 miles for your first day?

It doesn't make any more sense now than it did in your first post. 600 miles is about the farthest you should drive on any given day -- but I'll guess you'll find out how much work this is going to be.

I would certainly recommend that you read these tips about speed runs, drink as much water as you can, and get some extra sleep tonight!

Mark