Thread: Help pls LA etc

1. Default Help pls route suggestions!

Hi, new to this forum, hope you can help! I was originally going to do washington to LA via vegas with my sister maybe the southern route I40 West, she doesn't drive by the way so it will be me doing all the hard work ;)

But it is look like it will be too expensive on gas and also I will have max 3 weeks to do it in, don't really want to drive half the day every day and rush around, wanna take it easy.

Now I'm looking for some route suggestions that would be about half the length, so I guess starting somewhere in the middle of the US (should have a major airport as flying in from UK)

Things I want to see, vegas, small town america, cowboys :) lots of kitch and retro sights like the cadillac graveyard, elvis, ufo's, grand canyon would be nice, eat lots of pie at diners.

I know i can see most of these things in vegas but 3 weeks is too long to stay there and we want to see bit more of the US, probs only do 2 nights in vegas.

Route 66 might be too long too I think?

Maybe Houston to LA via vegas, but will I miss loads of the retro sights and get mostly cowboys?

Not so much into big cities, but need to end up in LA as I am going on to Hawaii from then.

Thanks!!!

Default A lot to choose from.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Well with 3 weeks you would certainly have enough time to cross the country and have plenty of time for sight seeing and relaxing as you could do the drive in 6 very full days.
    I think you need to sit down with a map and do some research on places that look interesting to you and then start to put a few dots on the map and see how they pan out but at this stage it is not easy to recommend places and routes when you have bits dotted all over the country. When I think of Elvis I think of Memphis and Tupelo which is in the region of 1600 miles from Vegas. Route 66 was decommissioned years ago although there are small parts of the original road remaining and some of the most popular stretches are between GC and Vegas and just beyond.
    I think I can safely say that you won't get over run with "mostly cowboys" but you do have some decisions to make. If you are happy finding Elvis 'look a likes' in Vegas then Denver could be a possible arrival point. From there to LA would see you going through Alpine, desert and mountain scenery to the coast passing some of the most amazing National parks on offer plus lots of small town possibilities.
    Get researching and when you have narrowed things down a bit and got a more positive plan together let us know and we can help piece it together.

3. Default LA grand canyon Vegas loop di loop?

Hi is it possible to do a wideish loop staring in LA going to vegas and grand canyon and back in LA without driving the same road there and back? Maybe one part of the loop up the coast and the return loop via grand canyon and a bit south of LA coming back up?
    I guess I will save money on the car hire by returning to start location?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-05-2009 at 04:15 AM. Reason: merged - please don't start new threads about the same trip

Default of course

Yes you will usually save money by returning a car the same place that you rent, so that could be a good option.

And yes, you could certainly do a loop to the Grand Canyon where you use different routes each direction - and there are several different ways in which you could do it.

I think right now you are just too scattered in your thoughts, however. Its good to be in brainstorming mode, but I think that will be a lot easier for you if you get out a good map and take a visual look at where you can go and what things would fit with what you want to see.

Default Very popular

Yes it is and it is one of the most discussed topics on these forums. LA to the GC and back to Vegas through Death valley and Yosemite and back down the coast road makes a terrific loop. Although with 3 weeks you might want to include other options such as Monument valley, Zion and Bryce canyon or Sedona and Red rock state park. Have a look at those links and you will find many more by using the search button.

Enjoy the planning.

6. Default Help with West coast itinerary please!

Hi, we are arriving into LA mid June, and have 3 weeks exactly to do a roadtrip. Would like to do a few days in LA then thinking of driving up to San Fran and then to Vegas, also want to include death valley, grand canyon, area 51 ET highway etc, san diego and then back into LA. Is there anywhere good to stay over inbetween these places? Will do a bit of outdoor stuff seeing grand canyon death valley etc, but not really into hiking much. Would like to see some bizzarre sights, off the beaten track and then i guess just pure touristy things too. We are 30 years old, not into crazy parties but will be going out in the evenings.

What would be the best route do this roadtrip? Am i going to waste a lot of time driving from san fran to las vegas through no mans land? Driving down to San Diego, is Tuscon or any of that arizona area worth checking out? Going to stay at the bally's hotel for 3 nights in vegas (hope it is decent, very cheap deal), about 4 nights in LA, 4 nights San Diego, overnight somewhere in area 51 alien spotting and the rest is open to suggestions. Thanks for answering! :)
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-19-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Merged AGAIN - Please stop creating new threads about this same trip

Default look up

I'm sorry but I find it quite comical that you would describe San Francisco to Las Vegas as no mans land, when trips between those two cities are by far the most popular and most discussed topic on this forum!

The best place to overnight near Area 51 is probably Vegas itself. I suspect you may end up being disappointed in this part of your trip as there really is nothing much there that you can see - we are talking about a highly restricted area after all. Its worth spending a day on the drive, and here is an perfect article for you to check out about making a trip on the ET highway.

Otherwise, I would fall back on the advice you've already been given, and spend some time looking around and searching this site, particularly focusing at the links Dave already provided.