1. Default NYC to Maine in September

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a 5-6 day trip from NYC to Maine with my husband and little kids in September. I need suggestions of routes to take, places to see, and places to eat and stay. I am thinking about breaking up the trip into 2 parts if it is too long, so maybe stop off somewhere to spend the night, then finish the drive the 2nd day. (maybe in NH or MA) Same with coming back. We love nature, would love to visit Acadia, coastal areas etc. Where to go for whale watching? I need kid friendly things to do/see/stay/eat. We are adventurous eaters and love seafood. In fact, I hope to eat crab/clams/lobsters on our entire trip. The more "Diner, drive-ins and Dives" the better. For accommodations I would prefer cabin type places, and I know they probably require 2-3 day stay. So I guess another question I have is, is there an area that I can stay around to get the maximum flavor of Maine? (lighthouses, good seafood places, whale watching etc)

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

September is outside of peak season, so you'll have better luck finding places to stay on shorter notice. Much of the lodging is of the motel or bed and breakfast type. When you say "cabin type" - do you mean a small one-room cabin (there are some places in the Ogunquit and Wells area that come to mind), or a larger place?

Seeing the coastline sets you right on US-1 and 1A, which will take you past clam and lobster shacks too numerous to count! However, I'd really reconsider eating those great "butter delivery devices" for the entire trip.