Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default LA to NY In August in 10 days

we are planning a road trip from la to nyc, and my route is I 15N, I 70E, I 76E, I 80E, which is northern way.
    we dont know how much i will spend on this trip, but i can tell you is the budget can be a little luxury and flexible
    What i want to know is
    1 we want to take a visit on one nation park in utah, which one is your suggestion?
    2 we wanna the accommodation as safety as possible because we dont have such experience on traveling this long distance, and people are saying it's a dangerous trip, we may be robbed or something. So any good place for night lodging? Maybe we are just too nervous about that. If you think so, just nvm this point.
    3 after utah to Chicago which im in the mid of US, we dont know what views worthy to see, plz give some advise, and it could be great if they all alone our route.

We really need help, plz reply us even though you only know one of those points, we are really appreciate!!

Default lots to see/do

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

With 10 days, you've got plenty of time both to cover the miles and make lots of stops along the way. The route you've picked is certainly a good one, but you could get off that route if there are other things you'd like to see across this vast country.

As far as your questions go:
    1- You have lots that you can choose from, including Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, and Arches - just to name a few. There are also several more parks, like Black Canyon and Rocky Mountain as you get into Colorado. With the time you have, you could certainly see a couple of them.

2- Is there a chance you could be the victim of crime while on the road: yes. Is there a chance you could be the victim of crime in your own hometown: yes. If you use the same sort of common sense safety practices that you should already be using in your daily life, there is no reason that traveling cross country has to be any more dangerous than traveling through your hometown.

3- I-70 across Colorado is widely considered one of the most scenic freeways in the world, so you should have no problem finding lots of views as you travel across the Rockies. Here are some more ideas once you make it to I-80.

Default Have you seen the Grand canyon?

Zion and Arches NP are just off I 15 and I 70 respectively and both quite remarkable but another option would be to head East on I 40 and drive through the South rim of the Grand canyon and out the East entrance on 64 to 89/160/163 Monument valley and up the 191 past Moab and Arches NP to I 70.

If you are really concerned about safety, your best bet will be to spend the nights in mid-priced or luxury hotels at Interstate exits away from large cities or in towns near major scenic attractions (example - Moab UT). I have only felt unsafe in budget hotels in inner cities.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    With 10 days, you've got plenty of time both to cover the miles and make lots of stops along the way. The route you've picked is certainly a good one, but you could get off that route if there are other things you'd like to see across this vast country.

Thank you so much for your reply, we'll follow your suggestions and add more plans in our road trip,lol
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-04-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: reduced quote of entire previous post

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    If you are really concerned about safety, your best bet will be to spend the nights in mid-priced or luxury hotels at Interstate exits away from large cities or in towns near major scenic attractions (example - Moab UT). I have only felt unsafe in budget hotels in inner cities.
    hotel is what we exactly want to spend the nights in, but when we did google earth for my route, we found not too many cities alone the free way, so, may be there not too many hotels alone the free way too. we hope we are wrong with this, lol

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Zion and Arches NP are just off I 15 and I 70 respectively and both quite remarkable but another option would be to head East on I 40 and drive through the South rim of the Grand canyon and out the East entrance on 64 to 89/160/163 Monument valley and up the 191 past Moab and Arches NP to I 70.
    ya...we did research for that route too. Grand Canyon is really attrctive place, we was struggle about chosing which route to go. but we also wanna see chicago, detroit, boston, and that's why we chose the northern way. lol

Default look again

Quote Originally Posted by shinjing23 View Post
    hotel is what we exactly want to spend the nights in, but when we did google earth for my route, we found not too many cities alone the free way, so, may be there not too many hotels alone the free way too. we hope we are wrong with this, lol
    Every town with about 10,000 people (and often less) along the interstate is going to have at least a few different motels to chose from. Even in the most remote areas, you'll almost never be more than 50 miles from a town with several lodging choices.
    Grand Canyon is really attrctive place, we was struggle about chosing which route to go. but we also wanna see chicago, detroit, boston, and that's why we chose the northern way. lol
    Again, with 10 days, you've got a fair amount of time to work with. I'd worry about where you want to go first, and build your route to fit those places, not the other way around. If it were me, I'd wouldn't want to say that I skipped the Grand Canyon on my cross country trip and visited Detroit instead simply because Detroit was on the route I picked, and the Grand Canyon wasn't.

I'm recommending that you do *NOT* stay in hotels in large cities. Almost every town along an Interstate highway will have one or more hotels/motels at or near the Interstate exits to serve travelers such as you. There will be signboards a couple miles before each exit with lists of services - fuel, food, lodging, camping, airports, hospitals - within a couple miles of the exit.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Every town with about 10,000 people (and often less) along the interstate is going to have at least a few different motels to chose from. Even in the most remote areas, you'll almost never be more than 50 miles from a town with several lodging choices.

Again, with 10 days, you've got a fair amount of time to work with. I'd worry about where you want to go first, and build your route to fit those places, not the other way around. If it were me, I'd wouldn't want to say that I skipped the Grand Canyon on my cross country trip and visited Detroit instead simply because Detroit was on the route I picked, and the Grand Canyon wasn't.
    ya...your suggestion is very useful for me, we would like go to LV first, about the Grand Canyon, we just worry about our time will not enough because accourding to the map we found the distance from the Grand Canyon going back to I 80E is far far than the distance we just directly go to I 80E from LV.