Default Spot - Emergency Device for when your out of cell phone coverage.

Hi all, I just wanted to share one of the best items I have purchased for piece of mind when traveling off the beaten path alone. When you ride a Harley solo, you don't want to get stuck outside of cell service and have a mechanical problem that you can't fix or worse, crash with no way to contact anyone for help. To solve these issues, I bought a SPOT, which is a GPS satellite device that can summon either roadside assistance or 911 anywhere in the world. It costs about $150 for the device and $129.00 a year for service including roadside assistance. I have no interest in the sale of these, receive no commission, etc, but I have used mine a few times to summon 911 for others I come across on the road that have been in an accident on a back road. Anyway, you can get more info at I never leave home without it. Take care all.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-01-2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: enabled the link

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Pretty cool little gizmo

I am working on specifying elements for a road trippers' Go Kit and this looks like a cool device to include. Have there ever been situations when it didn't work OK for you?

I beta-tested an early version of a similar concept -- but I like the styling of this one a lot better!

As long as I have a clear view of the sky, it has always worked for me.
    There is an Ok button on it that you can send a message to everyone on your list stored in SPOT website, an e-mail/sms advising you are ok. I know they work, even used it while riding in Spain and New Zealand. Keep in mind the message you send is one you draft on the SPOT site and you can't change it from the device, but the message is good when you want to say I'm ok and send a GPS location of where you are. I advise my fellow riders all the time to buy one and put it in their saddle bag to be prepared in case the worst happens. Travel safe!

SF Bay Area

Default Another, older option

Before this came along, and after reading the sad story of that couple who took a wrong turn and got snowbound on a forest service road in Southern Oregon (he died, she and the kids lived), I invested in a PLB (personal locator beacon).

I stays in my backpack, and goes on any roadtrip or hike I take.

Only to be used if you're in jeopardy of life and/or limb, as all it does is tell the Search and Rescue teams "Come get me". Seems a little less flexible than the SPOT device.

Costs a few hundred dollars up front (about a year's worth of Venti non-fat Latte's; including tips), no annual fee after that. Need to re-register with NOAA every two years, and replace the battery every 5. I'm about halfway to needing to replace the battery.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default That example led to an article and some more tips

That unfortunate event in southern Oregon, was the impetus behind "Sedenquist's Rule of Serial Consequences" and there are a few more good tips in this thread....