1. Default help planning 2 week southwest January roadtrip

Just found this board and think it's just what the doctor ordered. My new husband and I are planning a 2 week vacation scheduled for the end of January which would end up in Las Vegas February 14th our anniversary. I have never been to the Southwest and the only stop other than Vegas on my wish list would be the grand canyon. We will be starting in Omaha and ending in Las Vegas, I will be flying home while he stays for a bit of golfing with his buddies. Any suggestions on how to start planning this adventure would be appreciated.

Tucson, AZ

Default Starting Out

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

At the top of this and almost every other page on RoadTrip America's website, you'll find a green toolbar with a tab for RoadTrip Planning. There you'll find lots of tips on how to pack, how to eat healthily on the road, what maps to get, suggestions for possible trips, etc. As for figuring out the specifics of your own drive, the best advice I can give is the oft repeated truism: Get a good large-scale map and sit down with it. See what main roads connect your starting and ending points. Have a look at the major attractions on the way to your destination and just start marking up the map with places you'd like to see, roads you'd like to drive, and pretty soon you'll have the outlines of your basic trip. Then you can start looking for smaller venues near that basic route that are also interesting and worth visiting since now you're going to be passing relatively close to them. Really, planning a great RoadTrip needn't be a whole lot more complicated than that.

South of England.

Default and finishing off.

When you have researched a little and found points of interest as Buck suggested post up your trip plans and we can help you join the dots. The key words there are your trip plans. That's the beauty of the road trip, you get to go where you want when you want and once you have decided where those key places are [and there are a lot of them] that appeal to you we can make other suggestions and possibly help you tweak your plans to get the best from them.

Enjoy the planning !

4. Default

January & February in the Southwest can mean snow in some areas.
    There are so many places to visit in the Southwest, but it's hard to predict what the weather will be like in January and February.

You might want to consider a couple days in Death Valley National Park. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon will be close, but the South Rim is open unless the roads get closed due to snow.

Bryce Canyon National Park is open all year and there will be snow on the ground. If you pick a sunny day like we did last February the place is a winter wonderland. Zion National Park is at a lower elevation and can also have some good weather in February.