1. Default Austin Tx to Montreal Qc

Im from Mexico. Actually, the trip is going to start in Mexico city, but where I need help is in the US . Mainly from Austin Tx to NY. This will be my first long road trip. What are the must see places between this two places? I have been looking for info but there is too much to see that I don't know where to start. Obviosly, I want to visit Washington DC and NY, but what else is there to see?, scenery, rivers, lakes, etc. This will be also my first time in the US. I plan to make the trip in 5-6 days. In the middle of October. Is there a risk of snow around that time? Also, suggestions for clean, inexpensive motels/hostels or any fun lodging would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Paco
    Last edited by pacomex; 07-31-2009 at 11:18 AM.

Default vastness

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We don't really believe in "must sees" because it just depends too much on individual tastes. You are right that there is a lot to see, and us trying to narrow down what could be considered "must sees" across the entire eastern half of the US is kind of impossible.

Your first step really might be just to pull out a map and take a look at some of the many things and places you could drive through. Do some research and see which of those things fit most with what you are looking for.

The problem you're going to have regardless is time. This is a large country, and it takes awhile to travel across it. You're looking at 4 very solid days on the road just to cover the miles involved in getting from Austin to Montreal. If you throw in a day each in DC and NY you've already completely filled up 6 days.

Quote Originally Posted by pacomex View Post
    ............Also, suggestions for clean, inexpensive motels/hostels or any fun lodging would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Paco
    Here is the most comprehensive site for hostels on the internet... the reviews with each one will help you decide if it's for you.

Lifey who uses this site all the time