Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas-Grand Canyon-Monument Valley Spring 2010

Hi All

We're from the UK, and planning to fly to Las Vegas in early April 2010. Our trip is for 12 days and so far we are planning to stay:

-2 nights in LV,
    - 2 nights Grand Canyon
    - 1 night somewhere else
    - 3 nights Monument Valley
    - 1 night somewhere else
    - 2 nights Las Vegas,

So basically im wondering if anyone has any recommendations for stop overs between Grand Canyon and Monument Valley and between Monument Valley and Las Vegas.

Im returning to University so this would be a last big trip, and hoping for some amazing photos. Any advice re: whether we are spending too long in Monument Valley, and whether there are other points of interest we can get to would be very much gratefully recieved.

thanks so much.

Default Relaxed pace.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You have a nice relaxed pace and might want to consider doing a loop that would take you from MV through Page/Lake Powell area and to two of Utah's spectacular parks, Bryce canyon and Zion. That would be heading to Grand canyon South rim via Hoover dam and I-40, then to MV, Bryce canyon, Zion NP and a back to Vegas via I-15.
    It is for you to decide how you want to spend your time but I think you would be better off spending less time in MV and enjoying some of the surrounding areas. There are many other options in the area so I would get the map out and research some of the places that sound appealing to you.

3. Default

Hi - that sounds more sensible and have to admit looking at Utah, Bryce Canyon and Zion look amazing too. Any recommendations for lodging in these places?

Additionally is it worth staying overnight somewhere between Grand canyon and MV or is it possibly just as good to do a long drive. We were looking at places like the Painted Desert etc - you are right we DO need a map haha!

Default Suggestions not recommendations.

The closest lodging and a very popular choice for Bryce is Ruby's Inn and the nearest town to Zion is the cool little town of Springdale which offers food and lodging options. On the way to MV the first lodging option out side GC East entrance is [I think it's the first] Cameron trading post which has cool shops even if you don't want to stop that soon for the night. You have Kayenta with more reasonably priced options and another popular spot is Gouldings lodge close to the park. These are not recommendations as such, as we travel in an RV although we have had great food at Ruby's and Cameron. [never been to Gouldings lodge]
    It's an easy drive from GC to MV direct but it will depend on what time you want to leave the canyon area but leave plenty of time to enjoy the views along Desert view drive [64] as you head out East.

5. Default

Thanks - very much appreciated. You have got me thinking about doing the drive in one day from GC to MV. I think because we're staying in GC for three nights i would be tempted to leave in the morning. Roughly how long does it take between GC and MV given one or two stops? Thanks you've been extremely helpful.

Default Easy drive.

It's an easy drive of around 4 hours from GC to MV plus any stops so there is no need to stop on route as you have added another night to GC. As you originally had 2 nights for the canyon my thoughts were to leave later in the day and spend night 3 on route or even at MV. If you wish to visit Bryce and Zion plus travel time I would allow one night at each, possibly 2 at Zion as there are some fantastic and easy walks through the canyon area. You will be driving through some fantastic scenery that will be as enjoyable as the places you are visiting [well almost !].

Default Suggestions

GC or Zion or Bryce to Monument Valley can easily be done in a day, and if you plan it right you can swing through Page and take an Antelope Canyon tour that day as well.

If you're into photography, you should book the longer tours, which take place mid-day (so the sunbeams filter directly into the canyon). These are the only tour that will allow you to have a tripod (essential, as it's dark in there, see technical data below). If you go with this option I would pre-book.

I would suggest two nights in/close to Monument Valley... arrive late the first day, take a full day tour the next day, leave early the third. I've stayed at Gouldings twice, and have used their guide service. Other options are probably just as good but I have no direct experience with them.

Antelope Canyon

Photo: Don Casey
    Technical data: Nikon D70, 18-70mm @ 56mm, 2.5s at f13, ISO 200

8. Default

-2 nights in LV,
    - 2 nights Grand Canyon
    - 2 night Monument Valley
    - 1 nights Page, AZ (Glen Canyon National Recreational Area - Lake Powell)
    - 1 night Bryce National Park
    - 2 nights Zion National Park
    - 2 nights Las Vegas,

Other than I wouldn't spend as much time in Las Vegas, this is the trip I'd recommend. If you decide to take a day away from Las Vegas, then add it to Bryce.

9. Default Thanks for all your help and comments

wow- thanks so much. I honestly would never have thought of Bryce and Zion but I'm very much looking forward to this trip moreso now.

Default Enjoy !

If you have any further questions, just ask, but if not I hope you will drop by at the end of your trip and share your experience with us.

Have a great trip !