1. Default Noob: Planning a last minute, 8 day western road trip ending in Vegas.

I'm a longtime NYC resident looking to get out into the West and see what's what.

I want to fly out somewhere, rent an SUV or truck and spend about 5-6 days taking my time, exploring, checking out the local greasy spoons and honky tonks and local bars, with at least one good nature-related sort of thing to see.

Finally I want to wind up in Vegas to play cards for a day or two before flying home to the Big Apple. That seems to make sense for me.

I'm not a camper but some easy hiking is a possibility. I just want to enjoy myself, take my journal, my camera and my guitar and get away from it all for a week.

Obviously, I am a complete noob.

Flying into Albuquerque and doing the Route 66 thing seems like a possibility, but I would love to hear some suggestions.

Anyway, nice forum you folks have here. I've be searching the archives with vigor.

Thanks guys.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default whats out there

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Certainly Albuquerque could be a good place to start if you want to drive for a handful of days and end up in Las Vegas. So other good places might be Phoenix or Tucson, Salt Lake City, or even Denver might be on the far edge.

While I certainly encourage you to get out an see what the locals do, I wouldn't go in assuming that everyone drives a pickup and goes to country bars. I also really wouldn't recommend renting an SUV unless you've got some strong desire to drive one. You can't go off-road or anywhere a regular car can't go when you are in a rental SUV or truck, so you usually just end up paying a lot more without much benefit.

Tucson, AZ

Default Myth and Reality

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is certainly a lot of open space in the west, and there are plenty of easy hikes. There are even places where you can camp (National Forests and BLM lands) and be pretty far from civilization. But US-66 doesn't exist anymore. There are no roads where you can (legally) take a rental SUV that you can't also get to in a standard sedan. And it's really tough to "get away from it all for a week" without camping. So, save yourself the money and just get a compact car. Plan on flying into and out of Las Vegas to save yourself some more money. And look at making a great circuit of the Grand Canyon for your RoadTrip experience with visits to (and short hikes in) Zion, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon before returning by way of Seligman, Peach Springs and Oatman (the road formerly known as US-66) to Las Vegas. For your camping and get-away-from-it-all experience, start by checking out the possibilities in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, and Kaibab and Coconino National Forests.