1. Default Driving from NYC to Seattle

Hi guys,

I am moving to Seattle in September, and will be driving cross country with the lady. I would just like to know what is the quickest route? I was looking at I-90 from PA, and straight across..Is I-94 more scenic once I get into the Midwest?
    How many hours of driving am I looking at? Would 4 days driving be sufficient time?

Thanks so much,
    Vin

Default Insufficient Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It's roughly 2,900 miles from New York to Seattle. That is simply not doable in a safe manner in 4 days (725 mi/day!). Even trying to do it in five days would leave you very little time for anything but the most necessary fuel, food, restroom and occasional 'mental health' and exercise breaks. There is only about a 60 mile, 1 hour difference between taking I-90 vs I-94 across the northern plains. But if you're trying to do this in 5 days, that hour will be one more that you don't want to spend on the road. So, your first order of business is to add at least a day to your trip and even then you'll need to gear up for a Speed Run. Then just put your mind to putting in the long hours and taking the necessary breaks to make the trip in as safe a manner as possible.

AZBuck

The fastest way from NYC to Seattle is 2854 miles, and my mapping program says your wheels will be turning for 41 hours. This is VERY unrealistic - software does not have to stop for anything and is immune to traffic. This is a MINIMUM of 5 full days of driving, on the road for 10+ hours a day. This is I-80 to Chicago, then I-90 and I-94.

I'd recommend you allow 6 days for the trip, and don't push yourselves hard.

4. Default

I think your right 6 days would make it a less stressful, and a safer drive. I don't expect to put more than 10 hours a day driving, and the little lady will probably drive 3 or 4 of those hours. Thanks guys.

5. Default Driving to Coeur d'Alene, ID from NJ

Hi guys,

Is it possible to drive from from NJ, to Coeur d'Alene in 4 - 12 hour days of driving using I-80 to I-90? If not how far do you think I will get in this time frame?
    Thanks.

You did not specify exactly where in NJ, so I chose Paterson. Via fastest route (I-80/I-90/I-94/I-90) it's 2530 miles. That is JUST doable in four 12 hour days with very minimal stops and the ability to avoid major metro areas in rush hour - Chicago in particular and Minneapolis/St. Paul. If you have more than one driver it won't be too bad, but if you are going solo, I'd highly recommend a 5th day.

Staying on I-90 instead of taking I-94 will add 35 miles, and if you would be hitting MSP at rush hour it may save you some time. The best way through Chicago is stay on I-80 to I-355, take that to the end and take I-290 to I-90. If you have an EZ-Pass, by all means bring it, it will save you time and expense in IL - cash tolls are double the transponder rate, and you get express lanes with a transponder. It's accepted in IL and IN, and will be accepted in OH starting in October.

Default I'm confused

I thought you were moving to Seattle?

In any case, its a 26 hundred mile trip, and you'd have to cover 650 miles a day to do it in four days. Thats certainly more than we recommend, especially if you are traveling solo, but that would be in the ballpark of 12 hours a day if you limit your stops and keep those stops as short as possible.

The reason we wouldn't recommend this is that if you are traveling solo, you should be stopping more frequently to keep fresh and alert, and 12 hours is a long time to be staying at peak alert levels over the course of 4 consecutive days - and would put you beyond the safety rules put in place for professional drivers.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-18-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: removed link - no longer needed

8. Default

Hehe, Yes actually i am driving to Seattle but plan on making a stop in MT or ID. Right now I only have 4 days to get as far cross country as I can. The fifth day on until the weekend I have to stay in "some city" to do work on my laptop. Trying to get an idea how far I can get in 4 days. Seattle doesnt seem doable in 4 days. I have my gf going with me, so I think it wont be too bad.
    Thanks.

Default well then

Well, then I think you've heard our recommendations on how far you should travel.

In the future, please don't create a new thread to try and get a new answer to the same question you've already asked.

If you must do this in 5 (equally spaced) days, the 4th night should be around Butte MT.