1. Default San Diego to Seattle fast...

Hello,

We decided to drive from SD to Seattle for a cruise next month instead of flying. We'd like to go as fast as possible on the way up but don't think we can drive more than about 8 hours at a time.

Can we make it in 3 days? Or should we allow for 4? I figured we'd stop at San Fran one night and Portland the next and then overnight in Seattle for the cruise the 3rd night? Or is this going to leave us cranky and tired!?

Thank you!

Katherine

3 days driving 8 hours a day is doable. It's 1250 miles. Splitting the drive into thirds, I show your overnights should be around Stockton and Grants Pass.

Even though it's longer from a mileage standpoint, I'd recommend you get through/around LA by taking 15 to 210, to join 5 in San Fernando. I probably don't have to tell you how nasty 5 and 405 are through LA.

Another option is 15 over Cajon Pass to 395 to 58 to Bakersfield and up 99 to Stockton to join 5.

Default not worth the diversion

GLC: Even though it's longer from a mileage standpoint, I'd recommend you get through/around LA by taking 15 to 210, to join 5 in San Fernando. I probably don't have to tell you how nasty 5 and 405 are through LA.
    I spend a fair amount of time on the freeways in LA. And I don't think there would be any time savings to take I-15 to I-210 to I-5, instead of just staying on I-5 the entire way.... In fact, I think it's likely that the sidetrip could add another 45 minutes to the trip... There's heavy traffic on both of GLC's suggestions -- depending upon the day of time -- the route over Cajon Pass could easily add a net 1.5 hours to the slow slog through the heart of LA on I-5!

Mark

4. Default

Thanks for the input. Yes, unfortunately, I am well aware of the LA traffic. We are thinking of going up to my parents' house to northern LA (Westlake) the night before to drop off the kids anyway. So we'd head Simi Freeway to 5 and then North.

Would we see ANYTHING scenic on I-5 to Seattle? Should we plan to stop anywhere nice along the way or just blaze up as fast as we could? We've never been North of Napa so not sure what to expect. I do know how dull I-5 is in So. Cal though so I hope it would be nicer as we head out of the state and into OR.

Katherine

Default R and R.

At the top of this link you will find some ideas just off I-5 to take a little time out. Further afield and more time consuming would be Crater lake and of course, if you wanted to take the time you have the Redwoods etc on the coast. I guess it comes down to your goal, getting there as quick as possible or making the journey part of the adventure, which is my preferred choice.

I-5 becomes considerably more scenic as you get north of Sacramento.

Leaving from Westlake Village changes things considerably - it's a very easy 3 day drive from there to Seattle. Why not take 101 up to the SF area instead of 5? You can overnight somewhere up in the Bay area and then get over to 5. My software says to take 101 to San Jose, then 680 to 80 to 505 to 5. The only issue will be Bay area traffic in evening and next morning's rush hours. You could avoid that by taking 152 from Gilroy over Pacheco Pass to 5.

7. Default

That is exactly what I was thinking last night too. We used to live in the Bay Area (Palo Alto area) so I am intimately familiar with the 101 and it's beautiful (even without the curvy coast trip). So I think we'll overnight in San Francisco, then head up to Portland on day 2 and then up to Seattle for day 3. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I will do some reading about the Portland-Seattle leg and see if we can detour to see some sights along the way. That will be the shortest leg of the trip so we'd likely be 1) tired of driving all the time, 2) in less of a hurry. :)

Katherine