1. Default Planning a trip from ?? to vegas

Hey all

I am very very new to this forum and dont have a clue if this post is even in the correct section, lol.

Me (28) and my husband (29) are planning a road trip, we are thinking of starting in san fransisco to las vegas (i went there a few years ago) and ending up at disney in California.

Ive got quite a few questions regarding this,
    Is this do able?
    What would be the best time of year to do it?
    Where could i find ideas as to what route to take etc?
    Is there anywhere on this forum where i can find out things and places to do along the way?

Many thanks in advance and if im in the wrong place can you please point me in the right direction?

Claire x

Green County, Wisconsin

Default a starting point

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Its hard to give you too much information when you haven't even decided your starting point, nor have you said how much time you have.

That said, trips involving San Francisco - LA - Vegas are far and away the most popular topic on this forum, and just looking around a little bit should help you get some ideas. To ge you started, here are a few ideas. Once you've got a better idea of what you want your trip to be, we'll be in a better position to help you round out the details.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Time of year

Starting a trip in San Francisco and ending up pretty much anywhere is certainly doable. You're certainly not the first person to make the trip from San Francisco to Las Vegas. A quick search on this forum will get you started with plenty of posts that will then lead to multiple options in how to route your trip.

How much time do you have for your journey?

Depending on where you ultimately want to take your route would determine what is what the best time of year for that effort.

4. Default

Thank you for that, ill have a look around on here.

We was thinking of doing it over 2 weeks.

Would it be possible to do it in a motor home? Would there be many places to park one up over night?

Claire x

Green County, Wisconsin

Default possible

Two weeks is a reasonable amount of time to make a trip in this area, and you certainly could do it in an RV. This links provided above include quite a bit of information about making a trip like this in an RV.

Having said that, if you are planning to focus most of your time in cities, you'll probably find that such a vehicle is tough to get around in - both for navigating traffic and finding places to park during the day.

South of England.

Default One way or a loop.

Hi mrs H,

It's certainly possible to do your trip in a Motor home, and Yes there are plenty of campgrounds to pull up in. It's more a question of whether you like the lifestyle or not as it will almost certainly be dearer than a car and Motels to rent with just the two of you sharing the cost. It will also depend on how and where you want to spend your time, they are great in the National parks but not in LA traffic.
    When you have searched the forums [and the links Michael provided] you will need to decide if a one way trip or a loop would be better suited to your route. For instance if you wanted to see SF, the coast, LA and Vegas, or SF, Yosemite, Death valley, Vegas and LA a one way trip would work but if you wanted to see both the coast and Yosemite with Vegas then starting and finishing in the same city might be a better option plus it would save any one way drop off fees. With 14 days a loop such as SF > LA > Vegas > Yosemite > SF is certainly possible and depending on how much time you want to spend travelling the Grand canyon could be an option.

The time of year to travel would be a personal choice but for me you can't beat mid Sept to Mid Oct. The crowds are going the temps are dropping to a nice warmth for walking [chilly nights] and you get nice Fall colours.

Enjoy looking around the forums and when you have more questions just ask.