1. Default Houston to New York City

Wanted to make a weekend one way drive from Houston to New York City.

Can leave Friday night but have to be in NYC before Monday morning.

Will appreciate any advice about the best scenic/quickest route (willing to drive long hours).

Joplin MO

Not quite. That's a full 3 day drive, driviing 10 to 12 hours a day. It would be best if you took Friday or Monday off.

Fastest route is I-10/I-59/I-75/I-40/I-81/I-78.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default leaving early

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm afraid you're in a bad position here. You are looking at a 1600 mile trip, which is more than you really should do in 2.5 days. Even if you leave Friday evening, you'd have to put get at least Slidell, LA (a good 5-6 hours away) just to break up your weekend driving into managable legs of about 12 hours each. That's a lot of driving, its on the edge of what you can do safely, and its going to leave you pretty well exhausted by the end of your trip - which is going to be problematic since it sounds like you've got something going on right away Monday Morning.

I think you would be much better off if you can give yourself 3 full days, and if you absolutely can't do that, you're probably better off looking into airline tickets. By the time you factor in fuel, motel stays, and of course parking in NYC, its quite possible thats going to be cheaper anyway.

4. Default thanks

Thank you for your replies, I have another person who is willing to drive that's why I was thinking if I drove a lot on Saturday that would be give me time to rest on Sunday. I have nothing much planned that Monday but the person traveling with me has to be at work Monday morning.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default the common myth

A lot of people seem to think that if one person can safely drive 500 miles in a day that 2 people much then be able to drive 1000 miles, and thats just not how it works. The reality is that simply being in a car for long hours is draining. With an extra driver, you can safely go an hour or two longer than you might while traveling solo, but that's about it.

The fact is, you're looking at a very long drive, that is tough to do over a weekend. Its going to be very tiring, and I wouldn't want to be in your friends shoes and have to be at work on monday following the amount of work you will be doing over the weekend - and with the number of miles you are talking about, yes you do need to think of it a lot like work.

6. Default

Thanks again, would try to avoid making the trip in 2 days. Is it worth the detour to take New Found Gap Road/US 441 through the smokies for the view?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default mixed priorities

The trip through the smokies is a very nice scenic drive, however, unless you've got 3 full days for your trip, you just don't have the time to start adding miles and taking significant detours. Adding a couple more hours to your trip when you are already pushing the limits of what is safe just doesn't make sense.