1. Default Help!! Just decided on a late September California/Nevada road trip!

Wow - what an amazing site - although I will admit I'm a little overwhelmed!

Yesterday my boyfriend and I decided we will go on a bit of a road trip as our main holiday this year - late Sept for 17(ish) days. Our rough plan is as follows:

LAX – Anaheim - 1 night (cheap hotels? just to crash after flight)

Anaheim – San Diego 2 nights

San Diego – Las Vegas 3 nights

Las Vegas – Yosemite 2 nights

Yosemite – San Fran 3 nights

San Fran – Monterey 1 night

Monterey – Unknown 1 night

Unknown - West Hollywood 4 nights

I just have a couple of quesitons, if anybody would be so kind as to help me out!

Are these timings realistic, in order that we can take everything in and make the most of this opportunity (within reason)?

Another option would be to add the LA stay to the front of the trip and fly home from San Fran, missing the Pacific Coast road - is this a reasonable option?

Finally, as I'm sure many of you are also, we are feeling the pinch a little but still want our holiday!! If anybody has any good money saving tips (car hire, hotel website etc) it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default solid basics

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Your trip outline seems quite reasonable, and I certainly don't think you'd need to end your trip in San Francisco. You've got the time, and its a pretty incredible trip, so I personally would keep the coast trip in your plan.

One other thing I would think about adding is the Grand Canyon. Its a bit out of the way, but I think you could fit it in if you'd like.

There's no real magic for saving money, but working to shop around for motels and car rental is probably your best bet. Some of the easiest way to cut costs on the road is to eat out of a cooler instead of going to restaurants all the time.

South of England.

Default Ditto.

Hi Lucy,

I agree with Michael that your basic plan is solid and unlike a lot of trippers you haven't tried to cram to much in, leaving you plenty of time to relax. The Grand canyon is a possibility and going there from SD and then back to Vegas would work best, however you would need to take a night [or 2] from elsewhere. On the way to Yosemite you could spend a little time in Death valley and stop on the way to Yosemite in the Bishop area. In SF the Alcatraz tour is worthwhile in my opinion and to save a few bucks Lombard street [the Gough street end] has some reasonable lodgings and some offer free parking which can be quite an expense in a more central location.