Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Newbie with questions

Hi, I am new to this forum and first of all have to say this website is absolutely amazing. I only discovered it a couple of days ago and have spent half my time on here looking for tips and advice, to mainly great success! The reason I'm looking on here is because in a couple of weeks me and three friends are going to do a Los Angeles-Vegas-San Fran-La trip (how original, not!). Needless to say I have found plenty of tips for such a journey on here, although there's so much I'm now at a loss as to decide what's best to do, given I've only got a week and had thought it would quite straightforward!

One thing I've come across is is of course under-25 fees. I'm 21, and such websites like usrentacar, and enterprise do good deals for being that age. However they seem to require a credit card to pay if I am under 25. Why is this? It doesn't make much sense, and even if they want money coming from a pre-approved credit, they would still get payment be it through cash or a debit card!!

Also, if anyone has experience of renting cars in Hollywood, as this is where we will be picking up our car, or can point me in the direction of such threads I'll be very grateful! There's so much stuff on here...

Default in the bank

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Look at what you're asking from the car companies perspective. If someone gave you a couple hundred dollars cash to use your car, would you just let them take it, or would you want some sort of guarentee that you'll be be paid back, and be able to cover any damages that might happen to it?

I think you'd probably want something more than the cash price to protect your property, and that's exactly what the rental car companies are doing by requiring a credit card. When you throw in the fact that you are a high risk renter, simply because of your age, and its going to make the process more difficult.

Most places will accept a debt card, but they will also require you to have a significant amount of cash in the bank that they will put a hold on until after your rental is complete. However, it is possible because of your age, or by going through a 3rd party company that a credit card will be your only option. You're choices really will be to either get a credit card, or shop around until you find a place that will rent with a debit card whose under 25 fee isn't too substantial.

Thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense I guess...not having a credit card myself (yet...) just made it hard for me to understand.

Carhireagency.com seem to have a very reasonable young persons insurance package, and their prices, they say, also covers any potential local taxes and surcharges that may be added on. Plus you can pay by Cheque, Debit Card, or even Paypal it would seem! Has anyone used this company before?

Hi, in a couple of weeks me and a few mates are driving Vegas-SF-LA, but only have a week and a half of actual time with the car. We will take a couple of days to drive between Vegas and San Fran, and by all accounts seeing Death Valley and Yosemite (I am aware our times here will only be brief in a couple of days) are the 'must-see' ones. Would most people agree, or should we try to go somewhere else? Then between Vegas and LA-which we may attempt in a day, or might take two-what would people recommend? I'm open to suggestions as I've not set my heart on anything!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-18-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Please keep all questions about this trip in one thread.

Default Not Here

The company you asked about is a UK based company and so most of us here in the U.S will not only not have used it but never even have heard about it!

Make sure you read through these discussions to see what is available to you. No one can tell you what to do or what are 'must sees' those will vary from person to person and only you can decide, ultimately, what you should do with your time.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-18-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Ok, cool. Sorry for the posting elsewhere, I just thought I'd ask about Western Parks in that thread on that subject. Thanks for those links!

Default No worries

As a matter of logistics we prefer to keep all of the posts on a trip together so the Moderators and other forum members can keep track of what's already been said. We respond to several hundred requests for information each week and by keeping all posts from the same road trip in one thread, we avoid going (completely) nuts...

mark

Default Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajw View Post
    Hi, in a couple of weeks me and a few mates are driving Vegas-SF-LA, but only have a week and a half of actual time with the car. We will take a couple of days to drive between Vegas and San Fran, and by all accounts seeing Death Valley and Yosemite (I am aware our times here will only be brief in a couple of days) are the 'must-see' ones. Would most people agree, or should we try to go somewhere else? Then between Vegas and LA-which we may attempt in a day, or might take two-what would people recommend? I'm open to suggestions as I've not set my heart on anything!
    Hi, I'm having trouble sorting out your thoughts. You say you have the car for 10 days but only two days from Vegas to SF and then you might drive between Vegas and LA in a day. Is that a typo error or are you planning on going back to Vegas from SF for some reason and where are your other 7 days with the car ?
    If you mean you might attempt SF to LA in one day then I would recommend you think again. The PCH is a very scenic but slow going road and to whizz down the Interstate and miss it would be a shame. There are no "must see's" as such but going to SF via DV and Yosemite is very popular and rightly so, it's a spectacular drive through two totally different and amazing parks. Personally, if you are pushed for time I would spend one night on the East side of Yosemite and one on the West side and get an early start to SF the following morning, that extra half day will make a lot of difference to the enjoyment of the trip.

Sorry, yeah I did mistype a little bit...I was trying to get everything down and must have confused myself!

We are having the car for 8 days now...we've got a better idea of how we are going to do things:

Day 1-Pick up car, drive to Vegas
    Day 2-Day in Vegas
    Day 3-Early start for a drive from Vegas to the Grand Canyon, round -trip (tall order but we wana squeeze it in)
    Day 4-Day in Vegas
    Day 5- Depart Vegas for Death Valley, possibly stay in Ridgecrest or Lone Pine (anyone have any experience of here?) Sadly all the Death Valley lodges are fully booked! These two seem to be viable options for an overnight stay-even if they are another 50-100 miles from Death Valley. It seems Lone Pine is more central, not sure if this is the case though.
    Day 6-Leave Ridgecrest/Lone Pine for Yosemite-possibly just driving through-in order to get to San Fran.
    Day 7-Day in San Fran.
    Day 8-Leave San Fran for LA.

That is our rough plan at the minute...the Day 4 in Vegas is expendable and could be used for an extra day travelling between Vegas-SF in order to see Yosemite properly and stay either side of it as you suggested. Or alternatively it could be used for a day to split up the SF-LA drive, with everything else brought forward.

We haven't given ourselves much time for the whole thing...but are students and just trying to cram everything into what time we have! Spending days and relaxing and national parks isn't our key priority as you might have guessed, but of course we would like to see them. Any feedback on the above plan (which is still rough) would be greatly welcomed!

PS-to Southwest Dave, please excuse the ignorance but what is PCH?! Is that the main highway down to LA from San Francisco?

Default Sorry.

PS-to Southwest Dave, please excuse the ignorance but what is PCH?! Is that the main highway down to LA from San Francisco?
    Apologies, I should of explained it better. It is the Pacific coast highway [route 1] that hugs the coast between SF and LA and famous for it's amazing scenery.

Looking at your itinerary it just seems a bit too much. If you are flying in on an international flight from the UK to LA and have to clear customs and pick up your rental, get out of the urban sprawl of LA and attempt to drive to Vegas you will be wasted. Everyone wants to see the Grand canyon but you will have 10-12 hours of travel to spend a couple of hours or so there which is nowhere near enough. If you have days in LA at the end of your trip I would lose one of those and stay in LA or close by on arrival and then go direct to the GC and spend a night before heading back to Vegas and Death valley, it will save you a lot of time. From Lone pine you want to be heading North towards Lee vining on the 395 to cross the Sierra range on the 120 [Tioga pass] into Yosemite, Ridgecrest is well out of your way.
    If you don't have a bit of time to play with then I think something has to give or consider doing a one way trip LA>GC>Vegas > Yosemite and end in SF.