Default 3 Friends and the Northeast

Myself and two friends, recent high-school graduates, have decided on a roadtrip as our "send-off" for college. Some of our best times in high school were spent driving around in my truck, so it seemed to be a good choice. Some details about us and our trip:

- We come from suburban Long Island, and our area of focus is the Northeast US. Rather than pick a far-off point and drive toward it, we'd like to zig-zag across several states in our trip.
    - Our vehicle of choice is a '95 Nissan Pathfinder. It may not have the best gas mileage, but it's been incredibly reliable for the last year I've driven it, and it's the vehicle we're most used to. Fully insured, recently inspected.
    - Our trip will only be a several-day affair, likely starting on a Monday and ending around Friday, in August.
    - We'll be well-stocked in camping equipment and food, plus a first-aid kit and tools/fluids for the truck. In addition to our personal belongings, each of us will have a cell phone and ~$200 in cash.

- I'll be the primary driver for the trip. I'm an adventurer at heart; one of my favorite things to do is just drive around and see what I find. I'm a fan of hiking, biking, urban-ex, great views, and eye-catching architecture, to name a bit.
    - Friend 1 is my back-up driver. He's an amateur mechanic, avid camper, and Eagle Scout. A big fan of live music and the great outdoors.
    - Friend 2 is not a licensed driver. He knows good music, he's good with maps and computers, and he's generally a great guy to be around. Enjoys all manner of sightseeing, parks, cuisine, and taking it easy.

So, the question is simple; what should we plan to do on our trip? Any amazing sights to see, places to eat, tours to take, et cetera, in the general Northeast area? Make any suggestions for both permanent places and upcoming events in August; I'll work up an itinerary as we go along.
    Additionally, any further questions comments or advice is appreciated!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default good start

Welcome to the RTA forum!

First of all, you've got an excellent plan to keep things simple, cheap, but yet very memorable. It reminds me a lot of the first roadtrips I took with my friends.

One idea you might consider is heading into Quebec. You'll all need passports, and I'm assuming you're all 18, but if you are, that would give you the chance to head to Montreal or elsewhere where you can experience a different culture, and enjoy nightlife that you wouldn't be able to do in the US until you are 21.

Here are some other ideas that focus on the Northeast