1. Default LA to NY - Road Trip Alone Any Suggestions

Hi, I'm planning a road trip from LA to NYC most likely taking the northern route of the 15 to the 80. I'm curious if you have any suggestions on stops each day/ resting areas. places to meet people and such. I'm a 20 year old male. first timer.

I was planning to hit Utah. Colorado etc. I went to AAA and got all the necessary maps and travel guides.

although, I'm kind of winging it maybe not the best idea? anyways any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated . i have about a month
    Last edited by Justyn; 07-15-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Default speaking up

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Having a month is a great amount of time where you'll really be able to explore as you make your way across the country. One thing to note, I-80 does not travel through Colorado, so that's probably not the route you want, at least for that portion of the trip.

As far as meeting people goes, simply talking to people along the way whereever you stop is a good place to start. However, one option that will allow you to meet people and have a cheap place to stay is hostels. They aren't available everywhere, but that is something to look into.

For preplanning/winging it, that's really a matter of your personal taste and how you like to travel.

Here are some ideas for places to take a break along the Interstates, and here are things to do in each state in the country.

Default Budget

Do you have some idea of what your budget for this trip will be?
    That can make a huge difference in a trip, especially if you're going to be out there for a month.

The straight route is roughly five days one-way, so with so much time you'll be able to stretch it and you don't have to take that particular route if you don't want to.

4. Default

You definitely should buy a GPS and learn how to use it well. Even a $50 one is a ton better than maps. I'd get a $150-200 one though. Check on www.compgeeks.com GPS have listings of millions of points of interests, attractions, food, lodging, fuel, etc. It makes winging it much easier.

You still need maps though. A big road atlas is better. Especially when you see signs of road construction. It can mean slowing down from 75mph to 35mph or even to a dead stop for 1-2 hours and then crawling for the next 5 miles. With a GPS, you can get off (as soon as you see warning signs posted) and change your course (ie. select avoid highways) and use the atlas for a wide view of where to head to.

For a month of site seeing, going up top on i-80 might be not be the fun choice. It's fast, but barren as I recall. I heard that going down the coast line of CA from Southern to Northern Cali is awesome. Then you can start from San Fran to Vegas, etc.

I always wonder how hostels were in the USA. From www.hostels.com they mostly look like people's houses in bad neighborhoods and not like big dormitories and such in Europe. I guess in big cities, they're cheaper than hotels but in smaller cities, motels are like $35-50.

Default better than maps?

Well, I can't agree that a GPS is better than having a good map and knowing how to use it. A good map is never going to malfunction and turn off, or blindly have you follow a road that isn't designed for thru traffic. In fact, if you have a map and know where you are going, you're going to be in much better position to find an alternate route, should construction or other obsticles stop you from your original route plan.

A GPS can be a handy aid that can provide lots of useful information, but is much better used as a secondary source of information, after you know where you are going on a real map.

And as always, if you find I-80 or any road to be "barron," that's a personal problem more than a problem with the actual route. After all, there are no boring places.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Well, I can't agree that a GPS is better than having a good map and knowing how to use it. A good map is never going to malfunction and turn off,
    If this ever happens with the new and current GPS systems, then it's still a worthwhile risk considering it's vast abilities vs. a paper map. And I never said not to bring maps. The map is the backup.

or blindly have you follow a road that isn't designed for thru traffic.
    This only happens on extremely rare occasions and/or user error. And if it does happen, you just don't continue going through there and it will redirect you. If you're completely foreign to this area, chances are you're going to make mistakes while trying to navigate and may end up trying to go through this same street on your own vs. a microprocessor's calculations.

And your paper map are more likely to be outdated vs. a GPS.

In fact, if you have a map and know where you are going, you're going to be in much better position to find an alternate route, should construction or other obsticles stop you from your original route plan.
    I did say to use the paper map to see the large view of the area (as it's difficult on the GPS). Then you would chart the waypoint on the GPS to avoid highways.

A GPS can be a handy aid that can provide lots of useful information, but is much better used as a secondary source of information, after you know where you are going on a real map.
    How is a map easier when the GPS tells you exactly where to turn and within a 5-8 feet accuracy level? It can give you the fastest or shortest route, etc. vs. you having to figure it out.