Default A unique Montana weekend coming up!

This coming weekend, 18 and 19 July, 2009, will feature the annual "Bannack Days" festival at Bannack State Park, Montana. Bannack lies in the southwest corner of Montana, just over a pass from the Big Hole, in the heart of Lewis and Clark country, and some 30 miles from Dillon, the "capital" of Southwest Montana located along I-15 south of Butte.

Bannack Days includes sourdough pancakes at the Hotel Meade, quite a number of authentic 19th century crafts, black powder rifle exhibitions, gold panning, re-enactment of the Sheriff Henry Plummer vs The Vigilantes showdown, live music, and other period (and modern) foods, all in the setting of possibly the best-preserved ghost town in the West. Bannack also served, briefly, as the first Territorial capital of what was then Montana Territory, in 1861-1862.

I've been to Bannack 4 times over the last 31 years, with the first having been during a geology school field camp in July 1978. On the third visit I stumbled upon Bannack Days, and on the 4th, I planned my trip to include it. It's entirely possible to see quite a lot of Bannack Days and visit Lemhi Pass, where Lewis and Clark first crossed the Continental Divide, all in the same day.

It's the real thing, in the real "Marlboro Country". If you're anywhere in the vicinity, I recommend checking it out!

Foy

Default Sounds nice

During a "normal" Summer, I'd long to be away from the humidity that is normal around here and want to get out to the Big Sky, but this year's been different.

However, you've given me an idea for something to head towards in the future.

Then again, does anyone need an excuse to head to Montana, other than because it is there?

Default Head cheerleader

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    During a "normal" Summer, I'd long to be away from the humidity that is normal around here and want to get out to the Big Sky, but this year's been different.

However, you've given me an idea for something to head towards in the future.

Then again, does anyone need an excuse to head to Montana, other than because it is there?
    Of course the veteran RoadTripper needs no special encouragement to head for Montana. As anybody can tell from my posts, I am a completely unabashed promoter of visiting Montana in general and southwest Montana in particular. The Big Hole is simply breathtaking, the Battlefield sobering, the hot springs refreshing, the fishing unreal, the Lewis & Clark history tangible, and the crowds nonexistent. How can you lose?

If something like Bannack Days appeals to you, be on the lookout for one of the handful of organizations generally referred to as "Mountain Man" associations. They hold annual "rendezvous" at various places throughout the West, complete with "Jeremiah Johnson" style reenactors in camp (probably including many who aren't reenactors but instead actually "live the life"). A few years back, one was planned for a location within the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest, at a simply wonderful complex of high meadows called Vipond Park, near Wise River, just 50 or so miles from Bannack, and within a week or so from Bannack Days. I was in Heaven with anticipation, then learned the Mountain Man Assoc involved changed their location.

Foy

Bingo. That's the one.

And it was Mass Tim, not Midwest Michael.

Thanks again Mark.

Foy