1. Default San Diego to Seattle 2 week trip

Hi, sorry I'm a Noob and I must take time to search for this sort of trip but I'm just a little impatient. I've fallen out with the better half and just need to get away for a couple of weeks in August, I'm from the UK by the way.

I want to travel the West Coast of America starting in San Diego and ending up in Seattle. I'll book the flights easy enough in the UK but I'm just thinking of checking into a hotel/motel on the way as and when. Is this feasible in August or should I wait until September when it is out of the holiday season.

I've got some distant relatives who live in the Valley in LA so I might surprise them and bag a room for the night so I'll get at least one or two nights guaranteed sleep.

Also what car hire companies do the best one way trip deals?

Tucson, AZ

Default Details

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums!

Whether you'll need advance booking for a night's stay will depend largely on where you'll be on a given night. If you want to stay on the shore anywhere along the northern California, Oregon or Washington coasts, you would be very well advised to book ahead. Having just gone through the process of finding my own accommodations for the northern Oregon coast in September, and seeing what the booking rates (and prices!) were like during the summer, this is not something you want to leave until the last minute. On the other hand, if you plan to head north through the Central Valley on I-5, there should be plenty of relatively low cost motel accommodations all along the way. Indeed, there is probably a motel of some sort within a mile or two of nearly every exit.

As far as renting the car, many people from Britain report that they get much better deals by arranging the rental with a local UK or European firm rather than trying to book with an American company. Go figure.