Thread: LA to NY

1. Default LA to NY

whats the best route to take if going from LA to NYC? we want to take a northern route. we are giving ourselves 10-12 days and would like to do a little sightseeing. any advice? also, whats the best idea when it comes to sleeping accommodations. should we make reservations at motels/cheap hotels or just play it by ear? we are planning on leaving mid august
    thanks in advance

What are your interests? Grab a map and see what's along the way that might interest you.

You should be fine playing it by ear, the best values are usually at Interstate exits away from big cities. The only time you would need reservations is if you want to stay in or right by popular tourist attractions. Those won't be cheap either, August is high season in the north.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cal123 View Post
    whats the best route to take if going from LA to NYC? we want to take a northern route. we are giving ourselves 10-12 days and would like to do a little sightseeing. any advice? also, whats the best idea when it comes to sleeping accommodations. should we make reservations at motels/cheap hotels or just play it by ear? we are planning on leaving mid august
    thanks in advance
    im planning the trip from la to ny in august too, and my situation is almost like yours, so please let me know if you find any valueble info, i'll appreciate, lol

Default A big area !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It will take a full 5-6 days of driving to cover the distance so you will have time for some sight seeing along the way. As you are covering so much ground and there are just to many variables to make worthwhile suggestions especially when we know nothing of what you want to do and see. I would do as glc recommended and get the map out and start adding some dots where there are places of interest to you and see how they could fit into your plans. You will find lots of info on the forums and road trip planning pages to help you decide and when you have done so we can help join those dots together and possibly make alternative suggestions along your route. As a start I personally would head for the Grand canyon South rim through Monument valley to Arches NP/Moab and join I-70 towards Denver where you could detour through Rocky NP time permitting.
    As for lodgings, it's a personal choice between the security of having a bed and knowing where you will end your day or just "winging it" and having a little more freedom. I would imagine it is too late to book in any major NP's and near the popular ones the surrounding towns could be problematic but otherwise you can normally find somewhere. If you don't want to pre book it might be worth researching and taking details of some options that look nice and within your budget near to popular locations you think you might be prior to leaving so that you could call ahead from the road to check availability's.