Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Midwest loop(minneapolis)

Doing some research for a second trip to USA. Did my "virgin" trip last fall and loved it. First trip went around Las vegas area and the things to see there. Now I want to see something new, so thinking about some of the North states.

I have made a loop starting in Minneapolis (reason for that town is just easy access from Europe), if there is better starting point to choose please let me know. Doing a loop because of the return fee on cars, its just easier and cheaper.

This is scheduled to summer 2010, but not sure yet..

Just want to post the loop I made and get some input on it.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,55.283203&z=4

On this map I have some point of interest.(dont mind the points far from loop)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,27.641602&z=5

So the key question, is this doable in 14 days?

Any suggestions to the rout and to places to see..
    Not interested in big cities, more of small town lonely road type of guy.

Thanks!

14 days should be plenty of time to do that loop. It only looks to be about 3000 miles.

If you only look at the miles it shouldnt be a problem

But we will go to, Glacier, yellowstone, rushmore,badlands,silo, etc..

Also want 1 day for ATV rental in the mountains and maybe some water fun on a lake somewhere..

As you might see from the map I would like to go and see a drive in movie and maybe catch a game of baseball or football. (not sure when season is for this)

Default baseball

Summer is distinctly baseball season, and if you want to see major league baseball, you'll be in luck, as Target Field will open up next year in downtown Minneapolis, which should be a very nice place to catch a game. Otherwise, you could also see a minor league game. There are several teams in the Pioneer League in Montana and Wyoming that might work. Here's a map with all of your minor league options.

Football doesn't start until September, although you'll see some pre-season games and practices start in late July/August.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Summer is distinctly baseball season, and if you want to see major league baseball, you'll be in luck, as Target Field will open up next year in downtown Minneapolis, which should be a very nice place to catch a game. Otherwise, you could also see a minor league game. There are several teams in the Pioneer League in Montana and Wyoming that might work. Here's a map with all of your minor league options.

Football doesn't start until September, although you'll see some pre-season games and practices start in late July/August.

Thanks for the links and info! I am not a sports fan, but never experienced a baseball game so it would have been a fun thing to do.

Made this new map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,27.729492&z=5

Its about 8000miles and it looks to be a little to much for 14 days. Any suggestion on changing the route?

Quote Originally Posted by illusion View Post

Its about 8000miles and it looks to be a little to much for 14 days. Any suggestion on changing the route?
    Having driven all of that route, I'd be hard pressed to leave out anything. Best thing could be to cut it into two, and do two separate road trips. :)

Lifey who is sorry she can't be of more help

Still working on my trip, so many hard choices to make. Trying to figure out the miles to go and where to go. Thats one of the biggest problem when you only go for 14 days.

Still trying to cover all that I would like to see, I have changed the route "again". On a 14 day trip, I loose 2 days in traveling from Europe, so I only have 12 days on the road.

I would be happy to get some comment on this route..

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...cc6963e1d5&z=5

The day by day isnt really set, just something I put in there to see how much time it would take.

Default good start

I think that looks like a pretty reasonable route for a 12 day trip. I'd say that if you are on the road and see that your time is going by too quickly, you could always cut out Glacier and save that for another trip. I don't think that will necessarily be a problem, but its an option should you really want to linger in the Black Hills or Yellowstone. Its also an option if flying back from Salt Lake is vastly more expensive than doing everything out of denver.

My thought was to start in Salt lake city and end it either in Denver or Minneapolis. Looks to be same distance from the black hills to either of those cities. As mentioned before, I am mostly after scenic routes and typical America.

The route setup as it is now, should be 10 days on the road and I will have 2 days that I could use where ever I would like.

Is there any other "must see" things in that area where my route goes?