1. Default Yellowstone to Washington to San Diego

Hi! I'm planning a big road trip, and am looking for advice for this part of it. We(myself, and 3 kids ages 10, 4, and 4) will be driving from Chicago to Yellowstone arriving September 16th and leaving the 20th. We will be dropping off my parents(who are flying in) at Jackson, WY, and then continuing on our way. We will have two weeks to get from Jackson to San Diego. I would like to go through Crater Lake National park and up to Olympia National Park, and then down the coast to San Diego. I will be homeschooling(roadschooling) my kids, and we will be studying Native Americans this fall. So I am particularly interested in sites related to that topic. We are an outdoorsy family and like to spend our time outside(hiking, beach combing, etc). So, I am just looking for advice on places to see, stay, eat. I have done more reading on Rt. 1 than anything else, so I am mostly looking for ideas about our time from Wyoming to Washington, and than from Washington into CA. Thanks so much!
    Susie

To Get You Started
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are quite a few Native American interpretive centers throughout the plains and west, and more are springing up all the time. Here are a few along your general route, so that you can plan a bit ahead. But also be sure to check with the Welcome Centers as you enter each new state. They'll be much better informed and up to date.

Toolesboro Indian Mounds, just southwest of the Quad Cities
    The Nebraska History Museum in Lincoln has an exhibit on the First Nebraskans
    The Shoshone-Bannock Tribal Museum in Fort Hall, ID
    The Tamástslikt Cultural Institute in Pendleton, OR

AZBuck

3. Default THanks!

Thanks! I will check them out!
    susie

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kyteacher79 View Post
    Hi! I'm planning a big road trip, and am looking for advice for this part of it. We(myself, and 3 kids ages 10, 4, and 4) will be driving from Chicago to Yellowstone arriving September 16th and leaving the 20th. We will be dropping off my parents(who are flying in) at Jackson, WY, and then continuing on our way. We will have two weeks to get from Jackson to San Diego. I would like to go through Crater Lake National park and up to Olympia National Park, and then down the coast to San Diego. I will be homeschooling(roadschooling) my kids, and we will be studying Native Americans this fall. So I am particularly interested in sites related to that topic. We are an outdoorsy family and like to spend our time outside(hiking, beach combing, etc). So, I am just looking for advice on places to see, stay, eat. I have done more reading on Rt. 1 than anything else, so I am mostly looking for ideas about our time from Wyoming to Washington, and than from Washington into CA. Thanks so much!
    Susie
    make sure you go from Devils Tower, WY and drive from Gillette thru Buffalo and Ten Sleep to Thermopolis, south of Thermopolis is like a scene from a movie WOW or heaven.....there is a huge buffalo herd south of Gillette maybe an hour or two, but dont miss the drive from Tensleep to south of thermopolis, it is better that Yellowstone!!!!! and of course the Tetons, Magestic!!!! there is a place called Vee Da Voo, not sure of the spelling west of Cheyenne that you can camp at that is ten zillion huge rocks and my kids loved it, but it is way of the couse of the north route, tensleep and south of thermopolis a ways you turn west to up the north route to the Tetons, if you go thru Yellowstone make sure you have new tires and your car is in good shape, if you have a flat and have to buy a new tire it will cost you double minimum!! Dgibbins I can give you more info I have traveled all over the western US

also take highway ONE from Wa all the way down the coast, you will be driving slow, but the scenery is WORTH it, stop in Newport Oregon and see the AQUATIC display, they used to have Free Willie the ORCA there and also there is a WW2 and ONE? museum along there north part of Oregon, but your kids may be too young now? Lake Chelan which is a huge lake at trhe town of Chelan Washington is to die for, and they will take you up the lake in a boat for a fee, it is very deep and crystal clear, BEAUTIFUL....the boat used to be called Lady of the Lake and then if you want a majestic experience go to Holden Village when you reach the north end of the lake and stay there 3 days to day hike up into the northen Cascades, google them for more info, I stayed there 3 times in the late 60s and 70s Dgibbins

also the NEZ Peirce (spelling??) Indian reservation is in Idaho and a very beautiful drive!!!!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-21-2009 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Merged 4 posts, removed multiple identical quotes