Default New members - from Great Britain

I am so thrilled to have found this site - it is exactly what we have been looking for.

We need lots of help!

We are planning a road trip for July/August 2010, travelling from LA to New York. We will be flying into LAX and out of JFK and have approximately 21 days (we would like to spend the last 3/4 in New York as we got engaged here and it has special memories)

That's about all we know!

Ideally we would like to visit bigger places like San Fransisco and Las Vegas rather than the smaller places (we could do this on our next visit couldn't we?) and do all of the tourist things but we are keen walkers too and enjoy National Parks - your's of course are much bigger and scarier than ours (no bears in England!!!)

We don't mind staying in bigger cities longer e.g. a couple of days in Vegas and then having longer driving days through smaller places.

Any advice, or your old itineraries, or "what I would do..." would be gratefully recieved.

Much love x

Tucson, AZ

Default Your First Order of Business

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As we frequently have to tell people who ask such broad questions as yours, this country is just too big and offers too many possibilities for anyone to plan your trip but you. Now I realize that you're not all that familiar with everything that's in the 3,000 miles or so between Los Angeles and New York to make an intelligent choice and so I'll lay out a few basic routes and options for you. Once you pick from amongst those, people might be able offer some more detailed recommendations.

1) 'Southern' Route: I-10 into Texas, I-20 to Dallas, I-30 to Little Rock, I-40 to Knoxville, I-81 to Front Royal, VA, I-66 to Washington, and I-95 to New York (3,000 miles). Highlights: Phoenix, Saguaro National Park, Dallas, Memphis, Smoky Mountains National Park, Shenandoah National Park, Washington, Philadelphia.

2) 'Central' Route: I-15 to Barstow, CA, I-40 to Oklahoma City, I-44 to St. Louis, I-70 to Harrisburg, I-81/I-78 to New York. (2,800 miles). Highlights: Grand Canyon, Painted Desert National Park, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, the Ozarks, St. Louis.

3) 'Northern' Route: I-15 into Central Utah, I-70 to Denver, I-76 to Nebraska and I-80 to New York (2,800 miles). Highlights: Las Vegas, Zion National Park, Arches National Park, Denver, Rocky Mountain National Park, Oregon Trail, Chicago, Great Lakes, Cuyahoga National Park Delaware Water Gap.

You can even mix and match parts of those or choose alternatives to portions of them. But you will have to pick a basic route first. Hopefully I've given you enough info to make that first cut at what to do.