1. Default Road Trip without a Car

Here's something out of the ordinary from a new member (but an experienced roadtripper): Neither me nor my wife drives. She never did and I don't any more. We'd like t plan a long road trip by car and rail. The car portion would be accomplished using hired drivers. Here are my questions:

-is this a good idea/possible? We'd even be interested in renting an rv with a drtiver.

-how would one go about locating drivers to drive for us on legs of the trip?

-has anyone ever done anything like this?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I look forward to visiting here more often.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-10-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: corrected a content typo

Default I like a good challenge, now and then

Quote Originally Posted by louie brown View Post
    Here's something out of the ordinary from a new member
    We rarely get a truly novel concept here -- but this one sort of qualifies. Welcome to the Great America RoadTrip Forum!
    -is this a good idea/possible? We'd even be interested in renting an rv with a drtiver.
    I think it's doable as long as you've got sufficient $$ to make it work.
    -how would one go about locating drivers to drive for us on legs of the trip?
    I need to float some queries past some of our colleagues -- so I'll defer that response for now.
    -has anyone ever done anything like this?
    Short answer, sure. Professional drivers have taken clients on road trips for years. As you probably know, there are some famous sportcasters who refuse to fly between assignments and they have professional drivers who move them and their gear from city to city.

What are the parameters for this trip? How long? Where's it going? What's your budget? What are the goals for the trip? How's your health?

Mark

3. Default

Many thanks for the reply, Mark.

Right now, this trip is at least several years off. My wife and I have a standard poodle who, unlike Steinbeck's Charlie, is not a good traveler. He's 9 1/2. When he goes to his rest, I hope we can hit the road for a year.

We're in very good health. When we do this, we will be in our late sixties. We are fit. We do vigorous exercise and we hike when we travel. The reason for the driver - in fact, the reason for the trip - is that I have a visual disability. Having traveled a lot on the American road, I know how much there is out there to see. I want to see more before it's too late.

Ideally, we would combine road and rail. As to budget, we are not looking for luxury, just cleanliness and comfort (with maybe the occasional nice hotel.) I am more concerned with finding drivers who are reliable and honest, rather than ones that wear a uniform. Part of the research is to find out how much this would cost.

In a year, we would hope to go coast to coast, wandering as we please.

I hope that anyone coming across this thread will add something as time goes on. In return, I'll be glad to share what I learn.