Default From Orlando to Anywhere.

Hi, I'm planning on going on a Solo Road Trip from Orlando but I don't really have any particular destination. It is my first road trip and I mostly want to drive on fun roads, one being the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee. I would also like to go see the Grand Canyon but is a little scared of going too far from home:). So I guess what I'm asking is what are some cool places and Roads to drive by and see? Thanks!

Default a broad brush

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How much time do you have available for this trip? I don't even know where to start, because "anywhere" is a pretty big target.

Since you mentioned the Tail of the Dragon and fun roads, I would suggest that you look at some of the other National Scenic Byways throughout the country. You might find something there that strikes your interest that can help you get started.

I would say around 2 weeks maybe more depending on how it is going. I'm planning on leaving early August.

To give you an idea of scope, it's 4 to 5 long days of driving to get from Orlando to the Grand Canyon, only sightseeing out the windshield of a moving car on Interstate highways.

Default the call

2 weeks would make the Grand Canyon a tough choice. You'd have time to make it there and back, but you'd have to sacrafice some of the time just driving around on non-interstate routes.

Ultimately, you have to make the call about what kind of trip you want and where it is you want to go. With something that is such a big part of the trips foundation, it really is something you've got to do the work to find what is best for you.

Thanks for you help guys! Right now I'm looking for some cool places to see and adding them my list. How long would you guys suggest a trip to the Grand Canyon be with a bunch of stops on the way there and non on the way back?

Default working from

As GLC mentioned, its 4-5 long days on the interstate to make the trip each way. How much more time you need really just depends upon how much you want to stop or how much time you spend away from a freeway. 3 weeks, giving 7-8 days each way, along with a couple days at the Canyon itself, would probably make for a nice trip, but that's a real rough guess without knowing your own tastes and preferences.

Default A Different Take

Michael and glc are generally right that sufficient time to do things besides just drive, look, and turn around is an essential ingredient to a successful and enjoyable RoadTrip. But I think that you can make such a trip to the Grand Canyon in two weeks as long as you are aware of a couple of things. The first and foremost is to use all the time available to you. Two weeks can mean as much as 16 days if you use the weekends on both ends. And each of those 16 days can consist of 14 hours for travel, sight seeing and adventure if you forego watching TV or lounging around the pool at your motel. That still leaves an hour in the evening to shower and relax from the day, and an hour in the morning to get packed up and have breakfast, as well as 8 solid hours of sleep. On my own RoadTrips, I tend to follow such a regimen as well as stop every few hours to see/do something for an hour or two and still manage to cover 500+ miles a day at what is a very relaxed, enjoyable and sustainable pace. In your case, even covering about 450 miles a day will let you get to the Grand Canyon in 5 days. Say you spend 6 days to return home by a different and slightly longer route, whatever that may be. That still leaves you 5 days, more or less, of your two weeks to explore the Canyon and some of the surrounding wonders such as the Petrified Forest, Monument Valley, Canyonlands and others or maybe a day or two 'time out' on your drives to/from the Southwest to see even more of what's between you and your destination.

AZBuck

Thanks for all your help guys. I decide to keep this trip to the east coast. Making my destination National Center for the History of Electronic Games. I'm a big gamer and would love to see this, and I don't think I would be able to go to New York then the Grand Canyon in the time frame I have set. Is there anything similar to the Grand Canyon on the East coast or close by that is as Vast or amazing as the Grand canyon? or Anything a Geek/Gamer would love to see? Thanks!

There's nothing as vast as the Grand Canyon in the east, but the Smokies and Appalachians are very scenic. It's easy to go from FL to NY that way. I'd probably go mountains one way and beach the other way - staying off I-95!