1. Default Need advice: Sedona, AZ, Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, UT

My wife and I are planning on a trip through Sedona, AZ, the Grand Canyon, then to Zion National Park, Ut. I am currently in Las Vegas and my wife is in Baltimore. She plans on flying out in late August (dates to be determined) for a week. Basically we have two options to choose from. One where she flies into Vegas, the other into Phoenix and out of Salt Lake City.

Option 1: Leaving and Ending in Las Vegas
    Day 1: Vegas > Sedona, AZ (4:35 hr drive)
    Day 2: Sedona AZ>Grand Canyon, AZ (2:19 hr drive)
    Day 3: Grand Canyon, AZ (Skyview, helicopter ride to base)
    Day 4: Grand Canyon, AZ > Zion National Park, UT (5:07 hr drive)
    Day 5: Zion National Park, UT
    Day 6: Zion National Park, UT > Vegas (2:35 hr drive)

Option 2: Leaving Phoenix, AZ and Ending Salt Lake City, UT
    Day 1: Phoenix, AZ > Sedona, AZ (2:01 hr drive)
    Day 2: Sedona AZ>Grand Canyon, AZ (2:19 hr drive)
    Day 3: Grand Canyon, AZ (Skyview, helicopter ride to base)
    Day 4: Grand Canyon, AZ > Zion National Park, UT (5:07 hr drive)
    Day 5: Zion National Park, UT
    Day 6: Zion National Park, UT > Salt Lake City, UT (4:37 hr drive)

Basically I want to know if anyone has any experience with a trip like this and if I am allotting enough time in each location. I also want to know which trip would be the best.

I am currently driving a 2009 Cadillac STS and want to know if thats appropriate for the driving conditions we might see? Or do I need to try to get a SUV for the trip?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Especially any side trips that would be worth it or ones that should be passed.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default online times

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Since I'm assuming you are picking her up, it would seem like the Las Vegas roundtrip option would make a lot more sense then you having to do extra driving to Phoenix and SLC.

The drive time estimates you've got pretty clearly came from an online mapping program, and as usual, they are overly optimistic. The actual drive times will likely take longer than you are listing, but you don't have any legs where that should be too problematic.

The one thing I'm concerned about with your plan is that it appears that you are going to the Grand Canyon West and not Grand Canyon National Park (the south rim). The West Rim is on Indian Land, and is where the skywalk is located, and its also the only place where you can take a helicopter down into the Canyon. This is a different experience from the National Park, and more importantly, its location is several hours from the south rim by road, and thus it is much farther away from Sedona and Zion. You'll want to see how that factors into your plans.

There is no reason you'd need an SUV for any of the road you are talking about, although it should be noted that if you are going to the west rim, the road to it is in very poor shape.

3. Default

Thanks for the help. Guess I need to do a little more reading about the Grand Canyon. I think from what we want to do we have to stay closer to the south rim. I was looking at Papillion helicopter tours which I understood flew out of the Grand Canyon National Park Airport, which I thought was close to the south rim. As far as the skyview, I could take it or leave it. If it means we have to add hours to our day driving, I would rather skip it. Anyone know of a map that shows the canyon and all of the high points?

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Default Maps

You can find a lot of information on the NPS Grand Canyon website, including maps, and there a few maps of the area that you can look at here.

The Papillion helicopter tours are located at south rim. Its a great ride with the helicopter, you get to see more of the canyon.

How about going down to hoover dam, then going to Williams and maybe stay there or stay outside of the park. No problem going from LV-Williams in one day..