1. Default NYC area to LA end of July

Some friends and I were planning on doing a road trip from NYC area to LA for two weeks towards the end of this month. I was planning on taking rt 80 stopping off in citys by the highway such as Detroit/Cleveland, Chicago, Omaha, Denver, and Vegas. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about any other routes or places to stop at on the way. All my friends are in our early 20's and have never done a trip to this distance. thanks.

Default the whole country

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Traveling from NY to LA means you've got the entire country between your two points. There really are too many options for us to just start throwing any meaningful ideas out for you. What sort of things are you interested in doing, and what other places for stops (inside of or in addition to cities) have you already come up with.

Also, is this a one way or a round trip? 2 weeks is a nice amount of trip to make the trip across country with some time to make stops. If you've got to come back home, you'll practically have to turn around as soon as you reach California.

Default I hope this is 1-way!

You can figure about 5 days to travel from coast-to-coast. If you take I-80, you'll need to average about 560 miles per day to make it in 5 days. This is at the top end of our daily recommendation and won't leave you that much time for sight-seeing along the way.

I-40 part of the way would make a good return route. Again, you're looking at 5 days at about 560 miles/day. And it's always funner, imho, to use a different route on the return in order to see new sights.

Other routes would have you traveling too far north/south before heading east/west and, therefore, would add days. If this is a one-way trip, you could do that but I wouldn't suggest veering too far off the most direct paths if this is a round-trip.

Have you considered choosing a destination a bit closer to NYC so you have more time to explore? Of course, nothing wrong with a quick whistle-stop type of trip as long as you're comfortable with the idea that you won't have a lot of time to explore along the way.

4. Default

I was planning on doing the trip in about 3-4 days each way, making quick stops just to see areas real quick. I would be interested in seeing road side attractions or landmarks such as the Grand Canyon etc. There will be 3-4 people driving rotating shifts so I plan on doing about 800 miles a day on average.

Driving more than 550 miles a day is not reasonable or safe no matter how many drivers you have. Adding sightseeing stops on top of that is just ludicrous, sorry. I think you need a reality check.

Default not fun

Your plan certainly proves you've never done a major road trip. Anyone who has every done a trip of this magnitude will tell you that driving 800 miles a day, or trying to get across this vast country in 3-4 days is extremely tiring, no matter how many drivers you have. Its not safe, and it would certainly leave zero extra time for seeing the Grand Canyon or anything other than the next freeway exit sign.

Sorry, but there's just no chance you'll have any fun here. You need to completely rethink your plans.

Default Echo!!

Having done the coast to coast trip more than half-a-dozen times, over various routes, I can only echo all the sentiments expressed above. Even if you were to set out and carry out your plans, none of you will last more than a couple of days.

Lifey

8. Default

You can drive across country in 3 or 4 days, but you don't get to see anything.

I often drive from Indiana to California to visit family. It is 2000 miles and I do it in two days. It is not fun. We do not see anything. We are just trying to get from point A to point B, with no thoughts of sightseeing. We make fast gas stops and one sit down meal break a day. I suppose it's how truck drivers do it, but they aren't trying to see the sights either.

Good luck!

Default yipes!

Welcome to the RTA Forum, Drive!

Wow, back to back 1,000 mile days is just brutal. Doing it one day for a sprint can work, but then trying to do it again the next day isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemies! You just can't get enough rest to do that kind of distance again on a second day without being fatigued, and your driving skills will inevitably suffer, making you a more dangerous driver, in the process. Even if you've done it without incident before, I would strongly encourage you not to do that again in the future.

You should also know, since you mentioned it, that while driving without siteseeing is generally the approach taken by truckers, they don't drive at anywhere near the pace you are talking about. They are limited by federal law with the amount of hours they can drive in a day, which usually works out to a distance of about 600 miles or less a day, and then they are required to rest for at least 10 hours before driving again.

I often drive from Indiana to California to visit family. It is 2000 miles and I do it in two days.
    I drive to San Diego every winter to visit family. When I lived in Chicago, I used to take 4 days. Now that I live in SW MO, I take 3 days. If I, for whatever reason, had to get there faster I would fly and rent a car when I got there.