1. Default LA, Grand Canyon, Yosemite and SF

Hello everyone..we're a family of five from Sydney, Australia, planning our first visit to the US for October. I have a rough itinerary but need some driving advice. Is any part of this too ambitious in terms of driving time? Hopefully it's a sensible plan, but please I'd welcome any opinion to improve our experience.
    Thank you,
    Stu

Saturday 26th Depart Sydney
    Sunday 27th Arrive LA
    Monday 28th LA
    Tuesday 29th LA
    Wednesday 30th LA
    Thursday 1st LA to Colarado River
    Friday 2nd Colarado River to Grand Canyon
    Saturday 3rd Grand Canyon to Las Vegas
    Sunday 4th Las Vegas
    Moday 5th Las Vegas
    Tuesday 6th Las Vegas to Yosemite
    Wednesday 7th Yosemite
    Thursday 8th Yosemite to San Francisco
    Friday 9th San Francisco
    Saturday 10th San Francisco
    Sunday 11th SF to LA
    Monday 12th LA
    Tuesday 13th LA to San Diego
    Wednesday 14th San Diego to LA
    Thursday 15th Depart LA
    Friday 16th Arrive Sydney

Hi there... Aussie here too!

I would do San Diego after LA. Otherwise you are doubling back on yourself later in the trip. This way you will be doing a nice counterclockwise loop. Also Im worried about your San Fran to LA trip in one day? I wouldnt be in too much of a rush to get back to LA. There are some great spots to see along the way, Monterey, 17 Mile drive, Hearst Castle, Big Sur, to name a few. Personally I would plan that to do all the LA stuff early, then head back to LA at the end of your trip solely to fly out. Great spots on your itenary. Your gonna love San Fran and Yosemite!!!

For some ideas and tips checkout our trip.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum...5112#post75112

We had far fewer days than yourself but you will get the picture.

Default Nice trip.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I agree with CCOZ, to save yourself the time of driving through the urban sprawl to many times I would go LA >SD > and then head towards Grand canyon. More so with the point about going direct from SF to LA, you will miss one of the best coastal drives in the world [PCH] that deserves at least a one night stop poss two.
    From Vegas to Yosemite I would also consider stopping the night around Bishop on the 395 and take time to drive across Death valley which is a fascinating landscape. Your trip is certainly manageable although I am unsure of what you mean LA to Colorado river, but LA to GC/Flagstaff is a full days drive.

I would go to SD first, then take a scenic 2 day run to the GC from there. You could head through the mountains NE of SD, go through Joshua Tree, then over to Laughlin or Bullhead City for the night. Then you could head up through Oatman and take a couple fairly long stretches of old 66 to the GC.

Thursday 1st LA to Colarado River
    Friday 2nd Colarado River to Grand Canyon
    Saturday 3rd Grand Canyon to Las Vegas
    If you need to go to San Diego at the end of your trip, I think you won't need to take two days to get to Grand Canyon from LA.

From LA to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon takes about 7 hours (as long as you don't get stuck in LA traffic). It may be better to go from LA to Williams and stay there for the night on Oct. 1, spend the whole day at Grand Canyon on the 2nd, and head on to Las Vegas on the 3rd.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-10-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Default from where?

I don't think you can do LA to the Grand Canyon in 7 hours even with zero traffic, although 7 hours would be about right to make the trip to Williams. Its 500 miles from LAX to the actual South Rim, so that's a good 8-9 hours in good travel conditions, plus more if you start hitting traffic.

Having said that, I do agree with the basic itinerary of getting to Williams on the 1st, spending all day at the Canyon, and then heading back to Vegas on the 3rd as making a lot of sense. Even if you go to San Diego first, and then depart toward the Grand Canyon the travel times would be similar and a very workable plan.

7. Default thanks

Thanks everyone for the good information. We'll rework the schedule and come back for some more tips.
    Cheers

8. Default Yosemite National Park Accommodation

Hi everyone..terrific forum, great advice! We are a family of five stopping at Yosemite for two nights. Can anyone advise on a nice affordable place to stay? Ideally a cabin or motel. Am I right in thinking it's cheaper to stay on the edge of the park, and then drive in to sightsee? Or does it make more sense to pay extra and stay within the park? Sorry I have no idea, so need some tips.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-09-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: merged - please don't start new threads about the same trip

We stayed at Oakhurst which is 12 miles from the park entry, but if you are going through the Tioga pass this is not suitable. We tried to stay in Yosemite but is was all booked out. Best tip is to get in early. Check trip advisors because some of the reviews of some of the accomodation is dodgy.

Default Budget.

Quote Originally Posted by dubtrees View Post
    Hi everyone..terrific forum, great advice! We are a family of five stopping at Yosemite for two nights. Can anyone advise on a nice affordable place to stay? Ideally a cabin or motel. Am I right in thinking it's cheaper to stay on the edge of the park, and then drive in to sightsee? Or does it make more sense to pay extra and stay within the park? Sorry I have no idea, so need some tips.
    Thank you
    I don't think you can beat the experience of staying inside the park however it can be pricey so you will have to decide what's best with your budget. Depending on time of day you will be arriving, you could stop at Lee vining and get an early start over Tioga pass [which is a big part of the Yosemite experience] into the valley and then stay one night in the park or just outside the other side. This link has hotel listings on the right of the page which might be of some use.