1. Default Austin to Sacramento

My husband and I are planning a two week trip from Austin to Sacramento at the end of July. This will be our first road trip together out of Texas, and we are not sure of what the most scenic routes are. We definitely want to stop by the Grand Canyon and the San Diego Zoo on the way, but other than that, we are not sure of what other sites would be worth stopping at. I love dramatic scenery, and he loves anything which historical significance to it. Any suggestions? What are some little known, but beautiful beaches to look at?

Tucson, AZ

Default A Skeleton to Hang Some Meat On

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums!

With a trip that long, you should be looking to maximize the number of new (dramatic) places you can fit in. Both that consideration and the country you'll be covering cry out for a 'loop' where you take a different route out and back. So, I'm going to lay out for you one such possibility, and a number of the wonderful stops along the way. The details I'll leave up to you.

Start out by basically following I-10 and I-8 west to San Diego, with possible stops at White Sands, Kartchner Caverns, and Saguaro National Park. Depending on how much time you want to spend on this leg head north to Sacramento on I-5 (a day) or CA-1 (at least 2 days). CA-1, the Pacific Coast Highway, is very spectacular, but will take considerably longer. From Sacramento, go south to Yosemite National Park and cross the Sierra Nevada on CA-120 over Tioga Pass and then come down US-395 past Owens Lake to CA-190 through Death Valley and then on into Nevada and US-95 south to Las Vegas, Next up, continue south on US-93 to Kingman, I-40 to Williams and then use AZ-64/US-89 to loop northward through Grand Canyon National Park and return to I-40 at Flagstaff. Following I-40 eastward will take you to Petrified Forest National Park and Petroglyph National Monument. Just east of Albuquerque, you'd take US-285 south through Roswell and past Carlsbad Caverns returning to I-10 at Fort Stockton to complete your trip home.