Default What is the Best Type of RV for Traveling to Alaska

I want to go on an extended and slow trip to Alaska via British Columbia and the Yukon. I plan to leave next year at the end of April 2010. I purchased a RV, which I now know would not be the best vehicle to travel to Alaska from Fayetteville, GA. I plan to purchase a new vehicle, but want input from those of you who may have traveled to Alaska in the past. What is the best type of RV for a lone female to go to Alaska, which is easy to tow. I do not want to do a motorhome, I would prefer a travel trailer. What are your suggestions. I am pretty strong; pretty independent, and fearless. I have cancer; however, I am in a very good partial remission. I want to do the trip before I may have to begin chemo again. Next year is my year. Help me out, what do you suggest.

I erred in that I purchased a 29' Jayco JayFlight G2. I am looking at purchasing a smaller 19' travel trailer in February of next year for the trip. I have a 2008 Chevy Avalanche with a tow system. The Avalanche is a V8. The 19' trailer will weigh less than 4500 pounds. Help me, please.

Default There's an expert on the road right now

Jaimie and her husband on are the road right now, a fifth-wheel, heading for Alaska. She posed the kind of question you are interested in, in this article in June, 2007. We hope that your cancer stays in remission for very long time. April is a bit early to head to Alaska. I would recommend delaying at least a month.

I would suggest that you contact Jaimie directly and ask her opinion. You can reach her current columns and twitter postings from this page. scroll down to the section that reads "More from Alice and Jaimie" and then click on any of the subject headings for contact information.

Mark

You should not try to tow a 5th wheel with an Avalanche. The 1/2 ton frame is not strong enough and the bed is too short. With a 1/2 ton truck, you want the lightest and most aerodynamic standard "bumper pull" trailer you can get. Definitely keep it under 5000# fully loaded and ready to go. Being that you will be traveling in mountainous terrain, I'd look at getting an aftermarket transmission cooler that's stronger than the standard cooler. I would not recommend that you try to tow in overdrive except on level ground.

Default Good catch

George, Good point, I missed that in my initial read.

mark

Thanks so much for the information. I just read it. I am looking at purchasing a Jayco Sport, 19 feet. My other option is a motorhome. I just don't want to make another purchasing mistake. I do plan to tow both of them prior to purchasing it. I don't want to have white knuckles when I arrive at my destination. Again, thanks.

I did research the Avalanche. However, I erred in looking at weight and not the length of the vehicle. There is too much sway for me for a long trip...so I plan to purchase a second travel trailer--something under 20' and gross weight under 4800 pounds. My other option is to purchase a Class C motorhome.

Personally, I'd rather drive a small motorhome than tow a travel trailer. A lot less to worry about and a lot easier to maneuver in tight places than trying to back and fill with a trailer. Isn't a class B big enough for you? That's going to be barely longer than your Avalanche and should get better gas mileage than you towing with the Avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Personally, I'd rather drive a small motorhome than tow a travel trailer. A lot less to worry about and a lot easier to maneuver in tight places than trying to back and fill with a trailer. Isn't a class B big enough for you? That's going to be barely longer than your Avalanche and should get better gas mileage than you towing with the Avalanche.

I am considering a motorhome. My preference for the travel trailer is the ability to drop and go. I do not want to tow another vehicle around for sightseeing. It seems to do what I want to do--I am going to have to tow something--either a travel trailer or a car. Financially, I would have to buy two vehicles (the motorhome) and a small car. I don't know if I want to invest that much money into something that I may not get to use beyond next year. I have cancer and I am always on some drug. If I have to start chemo again, it will be a year or more before I can travel, that is, if everything works out. So, I am trying to find the cheapest and safest way to get to Alaska, not necessarily the easiest.

In that case, the smallest and lightest travel trailer that appeals to you would be best.

Default A little trailer for one

Do you really need the room, along with the extra weight, that the Jayco Sport has? Personally, I'd look into a hard-sided pop-up like the Chalet or Aliner. With the lesser-weight and bulk, you'll barely know you're towing them. And they still give you water-tight, hard-sided places to sleep and prep/store food. They seem like options that would suit your needs well.

The Scamp and the TAB might also be good options...just a tad bigger with more storage and amenities, but still easy to tow.