1. Default Dallas to Denver w/ moving truck?

I am moving to Denver from Dallas, and I know two different ways to get there, but not sure which one to take. I'll be driving a 22' penske truck, and some people suggested to take 35 -> 70, and some suggested Amarillo route.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default The Differences

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums!

The I-35/I70 route is shorter in time (by about an hour) while the US-287/US-87/I-25 is shorter in distance (by about a hundred miles). The difference is that the US-287/US-87/I-25 route through Amarillo spends much of its mileage on two lane highways and passing through small towns. Personally, I'd take the more 'challenging' route through Amarillo to keep myself on my toes, and also to save a bit on gas (fewer miles at a slower speed). Either way is going to be a solid two day drive.

AZBuck

Default choices

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The difference between the two routes is only about 80 miles, assuming you continue on the diagonal through Amarillo all the way to Raton, NM. Since the I-35/I-135/I-70 is all freeway driving, the total travel time will likely be quite similar. At that point, it really depends upon which sort of traveling you prefer, 2 lane roads or Freeways.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The difference between the two routes is only about 80 miles, assuming you continue on the diagonal through Amarillo all the way to Raton, NM. Since the I-35/I-135/I-70 is all freeway driving, the total travel time will likely be quite similar. At that point, it really depends upon which sort of traveling you prefer, 2 lane roads or Freeways.
    Which one would be better with a big truck with things flying around inside?

Default you have to decide.

Well, first of all, if you've got things flying around in the back of the truck, then you've got bigger problems than with your choice of routes. If you've got everything properly secured, then that shouldn't be an issue.

Really, it simply comes down to your personal taste about how you would rather drive. Some people would like the simplicity of being on a freeway where there is always a passing lane and no stop signs, some people would perfer 2 lanes, driving on slower less traveled roads. No one here can answer for you which type of road you'd prefer to drive.

US-287 is 4 lanes all the way from Fort Worth to Amarillo. It's a major truck route through North Texas and you wouldn't have any issues with a moving truck.

What you might want to look at from Amarillo - and this stretch I have no knowledge of how much is 2 or 4 lane - is US-287/US-87/US-385/US-87/US-64 to I-25. The checkpoint towns along this route are Dumas, Hartley, Dalhart, Clayton, and Raton.