Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default From Cali to Vegas to Grand Canyon to TX

I have been reading these posts now for HOURS!! great information here. Thanks for all the good work, advice and help. I think we have a good route planned but wanted to make sure and wanted to get a bit of advice.

My road trip will start in San Fran (14th, 15th.) We will then drive down Hwy 1 and spend the night with a friend in Monterey on the 15th.

We will be on our way to L.A and I am trying to decide if we should spend two nigts in Montery (15th 16th) or do one in Montery and the other in San Louis Obisbo (wanted to get a little beach time in)

After the two days on the coast we will continue down... check out Hearst and then continue to LA for one night . (17th)

Vegas the Next day for one night. (18th)

Williams the next day for two nights. (19th 20th) The first one to rest after the driving and Vegas party and the second to rest after a GC day hike.

Leave Williams on the 21st and head to Houston. Need to be in Houston by the evening of the 23rd. I know this means we will be driving a lot these last two days and I wanted to make at least one more interesting stop or at least stop to rest in an interesting place mid way. Its also hard to decide if we should stay on I-40 and go west or drive south to I-10. Driving South I figured maybe we could check out Sedona. Any suggestions about any part of the trip would be appreciated.

Default a few thoughts

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A couple thoughts with your plan:

First, I would recommend stopping in both Monterey and SanLuisObispo. Otherwise, you're going to be very rushed trying to drive all the way down to LA, with a stop at Hearst along the way.

Second, there are several options to get to Houston from Williams. The shortest would be to take I-40 to Amarillo and then cut down through Dallas, however there are some 2 lane roads with that route. I suspect the fastest would be to take I-40 and I-25 down to I-10, because it avoids all of the potential traffic problems of Dallas or Phoenix and Tucson if you went down through Sedona. In either case, you're looking at a couple of days of more than 600 miles, where you'll already need to be on the road for more than 12 hours each. That's going to leave very little time for an extra stop of any significant period of time.

I-40/I-25/I-10 adds 200 miles and about 2 hours to the route through Amarillo and Dallas. US-287 from Amarillo to Dallas is a good road. Either way, this is a 2.5 day drive. If you are leaving on the 21st and have till the evening of the 23rd, you will be fine.

4. Default Thanks

thanks for the information!!! This is my fourth road trip and i wish I had found this site before the first. Can't wait for the next one!! Will definitley plan to stop in Monterey and San Luis....

BTW... I noticed this AM i wrote I-40 West (hee hee hee) glad you guys know where Texas is :-)

Thanks again and keep up the good work!!

Default 200?

GLC, I think you're a bit off on your mileage estimates.

Google plots Williams to Houston via I-25 as being 1360 miles, and taking US-287 as being about 1250. That's a difference of a bit over 100 miles, not 200. I'd say eliminating all 2 lane roads and the potential of traffic in Dallas/Fort Worth would make the travel times pretty similar overall, and the I-25 route would be the "safer' bet for avoiding unforseen delays.

However, you are right that with 3 days there is an extra day that I wasn't factoring, and its not nearly as big of an issue and leaves some time for sightseeing. In that case, I'd probably go down through Phoenix and spend a little time in southern Arizona, but you could also explore some of new mexico - like White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns.

Williams to Houston:

Via I-40/US-287/I-45 = 1237.2 miles, 18 hours 18 minutes.
    Via I-40/I-25/I-10 = 1379.9 miles, 20 hours 18 minutes.

Sorry about that - 140 miles. However, I believe the 2 hour difference is probably valid, US-287 is 4 lane all the way from Amarillo to Fort Worth.

7. Default White Sands New Mexico

Currently we are half way through our trip and all is going very well. We will be taking the I40 East to I25 South route and I wanted to know if anyone had any information on the distace to White Sands once one exits the interstate.

THANKS!!

Default options

Its about 50 miles from I25 if you exit at Las Cruses, however its about 150 miles if you get off at Socorro, but that would be a shorter overall trip

9. Default

I am confused. Are you saying the 50 miles from Las Cruces,NM is a longer drive than the 150 miles from Socorro, TX??

We are actually staying the night in Las Cruces. wouldnt want to double back 150 miles. interested in seeing the white sands and the alien stuff if possible though

THANKS AGAIN!!

Default "overall"

Yes, it would be shorter overall to get off the interstate at Socorro NM, and drive 150 miles off the interstate than it would be to drive 140 miles farther south on the Interstate to LasCruces and then head back north 50 miles to White Sands.