1. Default Road Trip LA - SF - Yosemite - DV - LV... advice

Hello all Road Trippers!

I've seen a few posts about the route that my boyfriend and are planning on doing but was hoping for any additional advice on the timeframes we're thinking about...

We're arriving into LA next week and have less than a couple of weeks to get to Vegas:
    Here is our itinerary.

10th July: LA
    11th July: Drive LA - San Fran/ possibly spend the night on the coast somewhere if we stop along the way... any recommendations on cute town along the way?
    12th July: San Fran: Alcatraz/ Golden Gate Bridge
    13th July: San Fran
    14th July: San Fran

15th July: Napa Valley; is it worth staying the night in Napa or is it more of a day trip from SF?

16th July: Yosemite - I was looking at the tented campsite - as we're not bringing camping gear for this short a holiday... are they worth it?

17th July: Yosmite
    How long (average) is the drive from Yosemite to Death Valley?

18th July: Death Valley, I'm not sure about where to stay around Death Valley - is the town itself worth staying in overnight or is there a better halfway point between Yosemite and LV?

How long (average) is the drive from DV to LV?

19th July: Vegas

We think this is all do-able in our timeframe but are there any legs of the journey that you think are too long and we should split our days a differently?

Also I was looking at the Half Moon trek in Yosemite - would that be possible in the time we have or are there other recommended treks that wouldbe possible?

So many more questions - but I"ll leave it at that for now!

Thank you!

N

Default Tent Camps are a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by nivsky View Post
    We're arriving into LA next week and have less than a couple of weeks to get to Vegas:
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- Here are a few tips:
    any recommendations on cute town along the way?
    Harmony would fit that bill or Cayucos.
    15th July: Napa Valley; is it worth staying the night in Napa or is it more of a day trip from SF?
    Personally, I would stay in Healdsburg, it's a very cute town and a little less congested than Napa -- but I would also recommend this guide book for more insider tips.
    16th July: Yosemite - I was looking at the tented campsite - as we're not bringing camping gear for this short a holiday... are they worth it?
    Every time I've stayed in them I had fun -- but Yosemite Valley n the summer is very much an urban-like experience.
    17th July: Yosmite
    How long (average) is the drive from Yosemite to Death Valley?
    Going over Tioga Pass and stopping at some of the key spots, you need to figure a day's journey.
    18th July: Death Valley, I'm not sure about where to stay around Death Valley - is the town itself worth staying in overnight or is there a better halfway point between Yosemite and LV?
    There is no town of Death Valley. There's a motel in Furnace Creek -- Furnace Creek Ranch and it's pretty basic, but it's fun.
    How long (average) is the drive from DV to LV?
    Furnace Creek to Las Vegas can be done in a tad over two hours. Here's the route us locals use. (you need to scroll down the page)
    Also I was looking at the Half Moon trek in Yosemite - would that be possible in the time we have or are there other recommended treks that wouldbe possible?
    You're only spending a day there and by the time you've taken the shuttle to Glacier Point and some of the must-see vantage points, I think you will be too tired to go on a night hike. Here's a field report by Southwest Dave that you'll enjoy -- scroll through to his photos of Glacier Point!

Mark

3. Default Thanks!!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your quick response!

Another Q - how long is the Napa/Healdsburg to Yosemite part of the trip on average?

n

Healdsburg to Yosemite is in the 4 to 5 hour range.

I would recommend at least 2 days from LA to SF, and go up the CA-1 coast road. Cambria is around the halfway point.

Default Vacancies !

Hi,

16th July: Yosemite - I was looking at the tented campsite - as we're not bringing camping gear for this short a holiday...
    I was quite surprised to see there are still some vacancies at the time of posting but I would check availability and book asap if that's what you decide to do.
    To get more time in Yosemite it would be possible to stop around Bishop on the 395 and drive to Vegas the following day via Death valley.
    I would also stop along the coast road to SF for at least one night and enjoy the views. While in SF check out Pier 39, it has a good lively atmosphere and lots of places to eat.